Snowflakes

The cold wind blew around the park, a thick sheet of snow covering the ground like a blanket. A cold, wet blanket that would never do anything to help anyone.

Zayn murmured a curse under his breath when he nearly fell into the white powder, having tripped on something that had long since been buried in the snow. Of course, it had to snow now, of course, just when he thought he could have a good day at the park.

It had been snowing for a few hours now, and it didn't seem like the clouds would have any mercy on Zayn any time soon. Figures.

"Bloody hell," Zayn breathed out when he saw a man sitting by his usual bench. The man was hot as hell, Zayn would admit. Okay, more than admit - he would shout it to the whole world, and they would agree with him. The man had short brown hair put up into some sort of lazy quiff, stubble forming along his jaw and upper lip, and warm brown eyes that could closely resemble those of a puppy. Snowflakes decorated the man's hair with such beauty, one would think they were put there by hand. And don't get Zayn started on the man's muscles. Oh god, he was whipped without even meeting the man.

Zayn watched the man as he greeted a small dog that had run over to him. The man had such a large smile on his face, if Zayn hadn't seen what happened, he would've thought the man got engaged to the love of his life. It was fucking adorable.

The little puppy bounced up on its hind legs, wagging its tail furiously when the man bent down to the dog's level. "Hi there, little guy," the man cooed. He laughed as the dog licked his nose, then stood up when a woman ran over. "I'm so sorry! I don't know what's gotten into him. He's usually so good," the woman apologized. "It's quite alright, love. He's a friendly little guy, isn't he?" the man responded kindly, chuckling a bit at the end of the sentence. The woman smiled gratefully, nodding in response. "I'll leave you to it, then. Sorry again for the disturbance," the woman said. "I suppose this little guy's just trying to find someone to stay with. We're trying to get him adopted before Christmas," she explained. The man's eyes lit up at that. "Is there any paperwork needed to adopt him?" Zayn chuckled. Looks like the man would have a new companion with him now. Maybe that could be an excuse to talk to the man.

Minutes later, the puppy was settled in the man's arms, panting happily. The woman had left shortly after she handed the puppy over to the man, saying something about how happy everyone at the shelter would be. Zayn didn't really pay much attention to that. With a deep breath, Zayn smoothed out his shirt, walking over to the man.

"Couldn't help but notice your little pal over here. He's a really cute one, isn't he?" Zayn said. The man grinned, shifting the puppy in his arms. "He is, yeah." "M' Zayn, by the way," Zayn told the man. "Liam," the man replied. "Does this little guy have a name?" Zayn asked. He knew Liam didn't name the puppy yet - he had just gotten the dog minutes ago. "I haven't named him yet, actually. Just adopted this little guy about five minutes ago," Liam chuckled. "I do have something in mind though, and I think it fits." Zayn raised his brows in surprise. That was quick. "Yeah? And what's that?" "Well, I had a pup named Loki back a few years ago, poor guy passed a few months ago," Liam said, and Zayn noticed the man had a few tears stinging at his eyes. Liam blinked the tears back, shaking his head slightly. "Think I might name this guy Thor. I feel like it fits him." Zayn grinned. "I think he likes it." He pointed to where the pup was squirming around in Liam's arms, wagging his tail. Liam laughed, holding the pup in one hand. "Think he does."

The two continued their conversation for a while - nearly half an hour - before Liam told Zayn he should probably go. "I've got to get us both some dinner." Zayn nodded. Liam seemed to think for a moment, then spoke up again. "You're free to come with us if you want. I'm probably just going to run by the store and pick up something. Nothing special, just probably a frozen pizza." "Oh, em, sure, yeah. Sounds good," Zayn nodded. He seemed calm on the outside, but in his mind, he was screaming. How was the guy already so comfortable with Zayn that he would allow him into his house?

"Did you bring a car, or do you want to ride with me?" Liam asked, shaking Zayn from his thoughts. "Oh, I just walked over here. My house is just across the street there," Zayn said, pointing over to the said building. "Oh, alright. You can come with us then. Might have to hold this little guy in case he tries to come on my lap while I'm driving," Liam explained, partially paying attention to Zayn, but more so grinning down at the puppy. "Alright," Zayn nodded. He followed Liam to his car, thanking Liam once again as he drove off.

-

Zayn had come into the store with Liam, bringing the little pup with him. Apparently, the store allowed dogs inside, which was nice. "Oh my god," Liam said quietly. Zayn raised a brow when he saw Liam walked over to him, something held behind his back. "I found a sweater for Thor." Liam pulled said sweater behind his back, eyes crinkling as he smiled. He looked as if he just came up with the best idea in the world. Zayn chuckled. "That's perfect, mate." Liam nodded happily, looking down at the size of the sweater on the packaging, then back up at Thor. "I even got the right size!" Liam exclaimed cheerfully. "Can't wait to get back home and put this on him." "Then let's hurry up and get this stuff," Zayn laughed. Liam was insane, he was starting to think. Insane in a good way. Like an adorably happy kind of insane. "Right!" Liam nodded.

They had finished the shopping within twenty minutes, definitely getting more stuff than Zayn had figured they were. Liam had apparently forgot his mum was supposed to be coming for dinner at his house the next day, and he had to get stuff for that. Although they did end up with the things they had come for, so that was a plus. Zayn did realize over that shopping trip, however, that Liam was easily distracted in a grocery store. He found a little Santa hat for Thor, alone with the sweater, and some sort of plastic Christmas light necklace for himself, saying something about it being perfect when he got to see his nieces and nephews on Christmas Eve.

-

The night had gone quicker than Zayn was hoping it to, and before long, he had to get back to his one home. Liam had offered Zayn to stay the night, but Zayn didn't want to stay longer than he was welcomed, especially after spending the whole night with the (essentially) stranger. It was a nice thought, and Zayn had struggled so much to say no, but he didn't want to be a burden in any way. Besides, he had a cat he had to feed.

"Thanks for letting me stay, Liam, but I've got to get back home," Zayn said apologetically. "Oh, alright," Liam nodded. "Bye, Zayn. Hopefully I'll see you around again soon." Before Zayn could say anything (which he was going to until he saw what Liam was doing), Liam picked up Thor, gently shaking a paw in Zayn's direction, making it seem as if Thor was waving. Zayn laughed, waving as he walked out. "See you guys!" Why was Liam this fucking adorable?