Chapter 1

Chapter 1

       "I don't see what the big deal is," I said, crossing my arms as I leaned back in the chair. Mom and Dad seemed pissed. Well, so was I.

       "The big deal is that you vandalized the school!" Dad said, raising his voice just a tad.

       "So?" I asked.

       Mom sighed. She was always more calm when she spoke, even if she seemed pissed off. "Hunter," she said. "Vandalizing the school, or any place, is wrong."

       "Yeah, I got that," I said. "The principal went on and on about how bad vandalizing is because my parents couldn't even bother showing up! They were obviously too busy to meet with the principal. Thanks to the two of you, I'm suspended!"

       "It's our fault?" Dad asked. "No Hunter. You cannot blame us for the punishment you got."

       "I can," I objected. "Since my ever-so wonderful parents decided not to meet with the principal, she had no choice but to suspend me. But if my parents did show up, then they could have came up with a compromise!"

       "Hunter, do not raise your voice at us," Mom said calmly. "Look, your father and I were busy at the time."

       "Oh yeah," I said. "Busy writing songs, being in movies, being on talk shows. Remind me how the hell is all that more important than your son!"

       "We were not busy doing those things," Dad said. I could tell he was going to snap at any minute. "I had a meeting...."

       "I don't care if you had a meeting," I said. "You were supposed to have a meeting with my principal to discuss why you're son is being so disruptive lately. Maybe if you actually cared...."

       It was Dad's turn to interrupt. "We do care, Hunter. Our lives has just been so busy."

       "Right," I said. "You've been busy for the past sixteen years, which is why nobody knows that Austin Bolton and his wife has a sixteen year old son."

       "That"s not true," Dad said. "We thought that...."

       "That what?" I asked. "Dad, you don't get it. For the past sixteen years, I had to watch every kid do stuff with their parents. At school, every single parent goes on career day. Every parent meets with the principal if their kid is acting up. All but mine."

       "That doesn't mean you can act up," Dad said. "Getting a tattoo? Drinking? Hunter, you can't just rebel if you don't like the way we're doing something."

       "It's the only way I can get you two to listen!" I said.

       "We're listening now," Mom said. "Tell us what you want."

       I stood up from the chair and walked over to my parents, keeping my arms crossed. "I want the world to know that Austin and Maybelle Bolton has a kid."

       Mom and Dad looked at each other before looking back at me. "Well," Dad said slowly.

       I scoffed. "I knew it. Your lives are way too important for me!" I turned around and went up the stairs, ignoring Mom and Dad as they called my name. I slammed my bedroom door shut and flopped on my bed. I hated how my parents completely ignored my existence when it came to the public. Everyone thought that they got married but had no children. Yet they have a sixteen year old son.

       I really needed a break, so I got off my bed and opened my window. I didn't want to pass my parents as I went downstairs, so I climbed out my bedroom window and down the tree beside my bedroom.

       When I got to the stable in the backyard, I felt in a somewhat better mood, especially when I got to my horse's stall. I've had him ever since he was a colt and even though he was an animal, he was my best friend.

       My horse, Thunder, neighed when he saw me. I smiled and took him out of the stall before putting a saddle on him. Before I could even get on the horse, Mom walked into the stable. "Hunter, can we talk?"

       I didn't say anything. I didn't want to talk to either of my parents. I already tried but they never listen.

       "I know you're mad, but...." Mom began.

       "Mad?" I interrupted. "Mom, why can't anyone know about me?"

       "It's not that we don't want the world knowing about you," Mom said.

       "Then what is it?" I asked. "Why is it so hard to get an interview and tell the whole world that you have a son? A teenage son."

       Mom sighed. "It isn't hard. It's something your father and I decided for other reasons. Hunter, I came here to tell you something very important. Just please listen and don't get mad."

       "How could I possibly get more mad?" I asked. "Seriously, though. What is it?"

       "Well, I really hope you don't get mad," Mom said, "but there's going to be a new addition to the family."

       I raised an eyebrow. "What, are we getting a dog? Another horse?"

       Mom sighed. "No, something a little more....human."

       When I realized what Mom meant, I said, "Huh. Well, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go for a ride." I got up on Thunder and shook his reigns. Behind my house was a trail that I always went on when I needed to get away.

      Mom was pregnant. I was going to have a little brother or sister. My parents were going to ignore me even more because of it. I didn't how I was going to get my patents to pay attention to me if there was a baby on the way.