five

"What about the Earl of Leicester? He is a rather fine dancer." Lucille considered as she paced about the drawing room, Marianne watching with an amused smile, "Oh! Or how about the Baron Hartfield, he's quite a conversationalist. . ."

Marianne let out a small chuckle, "My Lucille, let yourself have a breath before continuing." Lucille nodded and paused in her steps, inhaling deeply.

"I just want to find my match." She told her sister.

"And you will." Marianne reassured her. Alice made a series of unintelligible noises from where she sat on her mother's lap, "Yes, even your niece agrees." Marianne laughed as Alice toyed with her necklace.

Lucille gave a small and adoring smile as she sat beside them, "But how will I know which gentlemen is the one I want to be with? The one I want to have a family with, and spend the rest of my life with by their side?"

Marianne thought for a moment before turning to her with a smile, "I'm going to give you some advice I was given during my first debut, advice I did not follow, unfortunately." Lucille nodded eagerly, "You must marry the man that feels like your dearest friend."

Lucille furrowed her brows as she pondered this advice, "Is it truly that simple?"

Marianne nodded, "When you look at him, do not think of station or looks, just think about how comfortable he makes you feel. How conversation isn't forced, but flows naturally." Lucille nodded, finding sense in her sisters words. Marianne cleared her throat, "Now, do you feel that way with the Earl or the Baron?"

Lucille gave a sheepish smile, "Not really."

Marianne nodded, "Well, there you go. Perhaps you just haven't found the right gentleman yet."

"Perhaps." Lucille nodded, "But I will not give up."

"And you should not." Marianne agreed, "I believe your match is out there somewhere. You just need to give it time to find you."

Lucille sighed and stood once more, "I know. I just don't want to disappoint everyone. I mean, Lady Whistledown called Daphne a 'diamond of the first water' and I the 'pearl that shines brighter than a spring day'. I cannot simply brush that to the side."

Marianne shook her head, "And you have not. You are still the picture of elegance and grace and one of the most sought after debutantes of the season." She smiled, "And I'm sure there will be a young gentlemen that will see you for your kindness and your strength, who will understand you like no other. It is all I wish for you sister."

Lucille smiled in thanks at her sister's words, "Whatever would I do without you, sister?" She sighed.

Marianne laughed, "Probably nowhere and end up an old spinster." She joked prompting Lucille to gasp dramatically, swatting her sister's arm with her glove. Marianne laughed, "I am kidding. Now, let us be ready, we have a ball to attend this evening."

Marianne was stood to the side of the ballroom, her sister, as always, on the dance floor and her brother had disappeared off somewhere most likely to cause mischief.

She was stood alone until she noticed someone walking quickly over to her.

"Lady Wentworth." Anthony gave her a polite nod as he stood beside her.