eleven

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman.

It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials, an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later.

Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

"Daphne!"

The future duchess turned, relief flooding her features when she recognised her old friend rushing towards her, "Oh, Marianne." They enveloped each other in a hug, Daphne glad for the comfort in such a moment.

"I heard you and the duke are engaged." Marianne spoke once they pulled away, her amethyst earrings catching the light, the dark purple going well with the rest of her outfit, "You must be pleased?... Although I see you are not." The marchioness reconsidered at the falter in her friend's expression.

"Oh, of course I am." Daphne quickly excused, although her smile was certainly stained, "I am marrying for love, just as I always desired."

One of the things Daphne loved about Marianne was her ability to read people, and she was not as easily fooled about Daphne's proclamations of love just as everyone else around her was.

She took Daphne's hand and led her down to sit beside her on the girl's light blue bed, she fixed the girl with a look, "Tell me what is wrong."

Daphne let out a sigh and allowed her mask of happiness to slip ever-so-slightly, "The duke... cannot have children. The reason he denied wanting to marry me is because he knows how much I desire to be a mother." Her eyes started watering slightly, "Now, I fear he hates me. That I have forced his hand..."

Marianne shook her head and took Daphne's hand in her own, heart aching as she watched her friend get upset, "Daphne, I can assure you that the duke does not hate you. He obviously feels guilt, and believes he has trapped you, not it being the other way around." She brushed some strawberry-blonde hair back over the Bridgerton's shoulder, "He loves you, Daphne. And when you love someone you want what's best for them, even if what's best doesn't include you in the picture."

Daphne sniffled, "You truly believe that?"

A small smile tilted the woman's lips upwards, "I know it."

"Is that how you felt for August?" Daphne asked, and Marianne's demeanour faltered, "You wanted what was best for him, always?"

Marianne's smile was sad, and she suddenly came to the decision that she no longer wanted to hide behind a veil of happiness. She didn't want to scare Daphne away from marriage and true love due to her own experiences, but Marianne had to remind herself that Daphne wasn't her. The duke was the one. And August hadn't been. Not for her. Marianne always knew it from the start, she could just never admit it to herself.

"Daphne..." she inhaled a shaky breath, "I did not love August. I never did."

She watched as her friend blinked in surprise, before her expression crumpled in confusion, "I-I don't understand. In your letters all you could talk about was how happy you were."

"That was with my children." Marianne recounted with a sad smile, "August was never there. He was always off on business so it was just myself and the children at the estate — and, I admit, that was how I preferred things." She inhaled a deep breath, smiling to herself for what was to come, a weight lifted off her shoulders, "August was not a good man. He was... arrogant, cruel and had a temper like no other. He never spent time with his son, and when he did all he did was shout and scream... it was awful Daphne."