003- Lie in a Truth

We need to find someone for Raheel, QUICK!

▪︎▪︎▪︎

Shariya sat on the foot of her sister's bed, and gazed at her with a frown on her face,

"Eenas, please stop sulking. This is getting out of hand."

Eenas looked up at her older sister, giving her a blank look, trying to keep the bitterness out of it. "Can you please take me with you?"

Eenas and Shariya shared an age gap of over a decade. Shariya was married to a guy of their parents' choice (something Eenas has always vowed not to do), and lived happily with her two children and husband. Well, as happy as life can get. Eenas was happy for the way her sister's life had changed after her nikah, and she refrained from thinking it would turn out the same way for her. After all, no marriage is the same, and her sister just got lucky.

It had been two weeks since she lost her job- not like she had it before- but Eenas was only getting restless. and staying home did nothing to help her. She was hoping Shariya would let her tag along, as she often did, but this time was different. of course, luck was far from her side.

Two hours later, as Shariya made her way out, promising to take Eenas along the next time, Eenas sunk back into her room, her phone and kindle by her side. As Eenas continued reading, her mind wandered to the darkness she always tried so hard to avoid. Just as she was about to zone out in her own thoughts, she heard her mom calling her,

"Eenas!"

She shut her Kindle off, "Ji, mamma!"

Eenas tossed her phone and blanket away, adjusting the dupatta as she made her way down. As she rounded the kitchen, she was met by her mother's disapproving gaze,

"I'd told you to close the kitchen windows."

It had completely slipped from her mind after her chores were done. In her own disappointment, Eenas had forgotten to do a small chore which now made her feel guilty, because her mother's piercing disapproving gaze did no help to her added comments, you always forget, her mother was saying, learn how to complete the work given to you properly, ek kaam dhang se nahi hota. A string of unnecessary complains against her behaviour followed next.

As she went on to shut the window shutters and adjust the curtains, Eenas felt like she was back in her childhood days -trying her best to live how they wanted her to, to be who they wanted her to be, but slowly, bit by bit, failing- losing sight of herself.

***

Farris stood outside the Bistro, adjusting his collar as he took in a deep breath and entered. The warm air hit him, a whiff of everything-sweet filling his sense as he stepped in. It was slightly drizzling outside, and he lowered his head and ran a hand through his hair to get rid of the droplets.

The cafe was empty for the most part, save for a few occupied seats at the far end. He looked up as the counter bell dinged.

Rahaf leaned against the frame of pastry displays, her chin resting on the palm of her hand as her gaze met his. She had seen him standing outside, mumbling under his breath for a few seconds. She saw him when he ruffled his hair, and while that didn't do much to her heart, she had smiled. It was cute.