Chapter 1

Albus Dumbledore appeared in front of a quaint little cottage. The outside was nothing special--just a small garden filled with wild flowers. A makeshift stone path lined the way to the front door, where a simple pine wreath hung with a dark blue bow.

The old wizard hummed to himself in content at the sight of the little dwelling. He was unsure of the reaction of his arrival he would receive from the witch that lived here, but he could see that the outside was already an improvement from the last time he dropped in.

Normally, he wasn't fond of knocking. Instead he would just walk in unannounced. But this time, Albus raised his fist to the door and knocked on the wood.

After a few moments of no answer, he knocked again.

When the door finally opened, the girl inside tried to hide her emotions at the sight of the wizard, but her eyes gave away everything. She was unsure whether to let him inside or curse him right there. In her eyes, this man was responsible for separating her from her family.

"Why are you here?" She settled on asking, trying to contain the rage inside of her from spilling out.

"It's good to see you too, Miss Evans." He chuckled lightly, taking no offense to her dislike of him.

This only angered her more.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't shut this door in your face, Dumbledore." Her already thin patience was dwindling fast.

For ten years, she hid herself away to heal from her past. Every time she saw Dumbledore, all of her hard work was dug up again. She wanted nothing to do with him or the wizarding world.

"It's about your nephew." He started. He was always so manipulative with his words; he always knew the right thing to say at the right time.

The girl paused, softening her harsh glare just a little bit. "Harry?"

She hadn't seen Harry Potter since he was a baby. Since before they died. She was still in school and an underage wizard when it all happened. She worked hard to keep herself together and get good grades and secure a good job when she left Hogwarts so that she could take care of Harry.

However, he was given to her other sister Petunia. Once she came of age, she tried to take him back from Petunia, as her sister hated everything to do with magic. Every single one of her letters were ignored by Petunia and when she tried to go to Dumbledore for help, he also ignored her.

In her eyes, Dumbledore was the reason why Harry was stuck in a home with an unloving family instead of with her.

"He's entering his first year at Hogwarts this year." He nodded, making her heart sink at the realization of just how much time she missed out on his life.

She didn't respond, instead she just stared at the man, unsure of which emotions she wanted to feel. She was happy, her nephew was finally getting the chance to see the world he was meant to grow up in, but she was also sad because this would be another milestone she was missing out on.

"There is a staff position open at Hogwarts." Dumbledore began. Her ears perked up and she looked at him like he was crazy. "History of Magic. The position is yours if you would like it."

For once, she was speechless in front of Albus Dumbledore. So many times in her life, she had a list meters long of things she wanted to say to him. But right now, no words.

"You don't have to give me an answer right now." He assured her, handing her over a letter. "This is a proper letter with the description of the job and all you will be required to do. I expect your owl by the end of this week with an answer, as term does start very shortly."

She took the letter hesitantly. For a moment she was tempted to rip it up in front of him, but she couldn't pass up the opportunity to finally see her nephew and be a part of his life.

"I'll let you know soon, Headmaster." She nodded her head and giving him the first sign of respect she'd offered him in nearly ten years.

Albus smiled at her with a twinkle in his eye, satisfied with how her demeanor toward him had changed so quickly. "I hope to see you at Hogwarts, Miss Evans."

And with that, he disapparated with a pop.

Daisy Evans looked down at the envelope in her hands. Her name was written so elegantly on the outside, with the Hogwarts crest sealing the letter. She opened it slowly, afraid that it would crumble in her hands if she was too rough.

She read over the letter, and then again, and again. She needed to be sure there was no fine print. Nowhere that said she couldn't reveal her identity to Harry, nowhere that said she wouldn't be living at the castle. She wanted to be right there for him whenever he needed.

It didn't take her long to decide, but her ego didn't want Dumbledore to think that she was eager to jump on the opportunity. So even though her mind was made up the day he came to visit her, she waited exactly a week before sending her owl in response.

Dear Headmaster Dumbledore,

I accept your invitation to teach History of Magic this school year at Hogwarts. I look forward to the coming term and am willing to set aside my prior opinions of you for the sake of Harry. I will see you soon.

Sincerely,

Daisy Evans

In truth, Daisy didn't sleep much in the days leading up to her arrival at Hogwarts. She was too anxious and nervous that Harry would hate her for abandoning him all these years. She dreaded having to tell him the truth, but she just hoped he would accept it and let her in.

She didn't have much time to think about what would happen, because soon she was leaving for Platform 9 3/4 and would be facing her fears.