Chapter 8

⚔ The Right Way ⚔

"You mean to tell me, Kallm ji," The professor spat out his name in disdain and Kallm cringed. "That you have no draft to show me?"

The professor walked around his desk and came to stand in front of him, slamming his hands onto the desk Kallm was leaning on. The whole class turned their heads, eager for the small entertainment. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Rineo watching with his jaw dropped. "And when you finally decided to show up, you fall asleep?"

Kallm lowered his head and knew that he had not only disappointed his teacher but also his father.

"Is this what your father has taught you?"

And Kallm saw red. He could handle being scolded, hell, he'd even take the punishment happily. But he would not let his bad decisions reflect on his father's upbringing of his children. Kallm stood up, standing head to head with his professor, the desk the only thing between the two men.

"Sir, with all due respect, you are not to speak about my father. It was my mistake, I would appreciate it if you would keep the blame focussed on me." Kallm could barely get his words out through his gritted teeth and he could see Rineo shaking his head and trying to get Kallm to sit down again. But Kallm refused to. He would not let anyone talk about his father like that.

He saw the professor gulp and knew he was wondering if Kallm would actually hit him. Jutting his arm towards the door, the professor shook his finger in its direction. Kallm would gladly take the hint. Jerking away from Rineo's touch, he packed up quickly, maintaining eye contact the entire time.

Bounding down the class steps, he heard every footstep he took and knew that the entire village would hear about this by the morning. Even Corin. How disappointed she would be in him.

Slamming the door behind him, Kallm didn't know what else to do with his anger and committed to walking back to the village. Usually he and Rineo would take the bus back, but he knew he had to get rid of all this excess energy. Especially if he was wanting to explain to Corin by himself.

He didn't want her to think lowly of him. Perhaps she'd understand. If anything, he knew that she was fiercely loyal to her loved ones.

But first, he had to call his father.

Coming up against a bridge looking out over the river, Kallm leaned his back against the railing and breathed out.

He reached into his pocket and felt around for the metal lump, pulling it out yet still not looking at it. Standing here, his only friends the fish in the river and the nightly birds, Kallm could easily pretend that he didn't have anything to hide, that he had nothing to tell anyone and that he could easily go home. To Corin.

Kallm shook his head and took a deep breath. This was getting out of control.

He was going to deal with one problem at a time.

Pressing the numbers to speak to his father, Kallm revelled in the quiet moment he had for himself.

"Pita ji?"

The line crackled until he heard the familiar laugh of his father. Kallm felt the pressure and stress leave him and a smile found its way onto his face. He missed his father.

"Yes Beta. How are you?"

"I am fine Pita ji, how are you? And bhaiya?"

Madkun Lakin chuckled again, Kallm had always been the overly caring one. He was proud of both his boys.

"I am fine Beta, as is Vodia. He missed you, as do I. Tell me, how are your studies?"

Kallm gulped and knew that he would have to do it now. He had to make sure he was the one to tell his father.

"Pita ji, I have something to tell you -"

"Oh Beta! Vodia is here. Talk to your brother."

Kallm pressed his fingers to the bridge of his nose and leant over the bridge once more. The only person he didn't want to disappoint more than his father was his older brother.

The line went quiet as Kallm heard some mumbling before Vodia took the phone.

"Kallm? How are you brother?"

"I'm fine bhaiya, how are you?"

"Good good. How is Phaer?"

Kallm finally braced himself, and knew he had to get it done eventually.

"I've been expelled Bhaiya."

The line went quiet and Kallm held his voice. He could hear his father saying something, and his brother replying, before moving away. He heard a door close before Vodia spoke again.

"What does that mean, Kallm?"

"I made a mistake Bhaiya."

Kallm could hear Vodia take a deep breath in and knew that he would be running his hands through his hair right now. Though Kallm didn't want Vodia to be hurt by him, he also knew his brother would help him. Tell him how to get through this.

"Alright. I can help you. I know someone there. Just apologise for what you did and I'll take care of the rest."

"Bhaiya, I met a girl."

"Is that what happened? Is that why you've been expelled?" Vodia exploded on the phone and Kallm took a physical step back. He waited on the line, knowing why his brother reacted that way. Knowing that, though it wasn't Corin's fault, it was because of her.

"What's her name?" Vodia's voice was quiet and strong.

"Corin, bhaiya. Her name is Corin."

Vodia took a deep breath in. It couldn't be.

"What's her full name?"

"Corin Nalad."

⚔ The Right Way ⚔