Chapter 15

The Right Way

Corin roamed her room, picking clothes out, before placing them on herself then into the open suitcase on her bed. Her room remained much the same as when she had arrived. As Lirat lived alone, this room was her storage area, and Corin had lived with that, even when she moved in. The single bed was placed neatly in the centre, against the back wall, and the window that was opposite it looked down onto the streets. Corin loved waking up here. Everyday she'd be awoken by the sound of the vendors getting their deliveries for the day, and the sweet smell of the bakery wafting in. But she had to fix her mistake.

Turning away, Corin opened another suitcase, the one with her memories of her past life. Of her life with Raian and Kayana. Taking the top picture, Corin stroked the glossy surface, her fingers lingering on the faces of her brother and best friend. She slid down onto the sheep skin rug, her eyes remained fixated on the picture frame which held her whole world, the very world she had destroyed. And now it seemed that her mistake was going to destroy her chance for happiness.

She knew Kallm didn't really want to marry her to live his life with her, she knew he was only doing this to help his brother and Kayana, but Corin had a part of her that wished that this wasn't a façade, that he truly did want her. She also felt anger, anger that she hadn't tried harder to fix this. If she had told Kayana what she had done straight away, perhaps her and Raian could have done something. Anything. Perhaps they could've left and lived their lives together. Even better, Corin may have not even said anything if she hadn't been childish and simply spoke to Kayana. She had done this to herself, and now she had to live with the consequences.

Standing up, Corin put the frame on her bed, knowing that she could no longer linger on those thoughts. Kallm had come into her life for a reason, and one of those being to help her fix her mistakes. She turned around again, pulling her scarves from the wardrobe and folding them neatly, placing them within her suitcase and attempting to close it. She knew she never packed light.

"Allow me."

Corin stood straight as she felt the voice run all through her, but she couldn't make herself turn around to face the source. Instead, she moved to the side and looked down at her hands, after making sure her scarf was neatly on top of her head. She smelt his scent first as he walked into her room, his hands coming next as they grabbed the zip that was refusing to budge with her, and when he was done, he turned to face her until she had no choice but to turn to him too, still maintaining her defeated posture.

"Hey," he whispered softly as Corin felt the first tear drop. When had she started crying? All she seemed to do with this man was make worse!

"It's okay love. Just because this is a ruse, doesn't mean you and I cannot still be friends. You have to understand Lavender, this is hard for me too." At that, Corin's eyes shot up to see his, and she felt a surge of guilt rush through her, for when their eyes met, she noticed that his were also bloodshot. What was keeping him awake at night?

Unknowingly, her hand had risen to rest on his shoulder as she searched his face for what was causing him to lose sleep. She hadn't wanted anything to happen to him. She hadn't wanted to be the reason for anything else happening to anyone. Especially not to Kallm. And, as much as she had tried to deny it, Corin had felt her heart jump at being called Lavender again. She had reveled in the fact that he still held her in that regard, and her heart swelled, was there still a chance?

His eyes closed, before he stepped away and Kallm looked at her with sorrow in his eyes.
"But that is all we must be."

Corin's hand returned to her chest and she cradled it there, but she remained looking at him. She wanted him to see her hurt, she wanted him to see the effect his words had on her. Why? She didn't know right then, but she so desperately wanted him to tease her again, to look out for her. To protect her.

He grumbled something under his breath, and ran a hand through his hair. Kallm didn't know what was doing anymore. The thoughts of never having Corin again were already plaguing his conscious mind, but the thoughts that he would be the reason they would never be together were the ones keeping him awake at night. He didn't know what he had done to deserve this, that the only woman he had ever felt this strongly about, be the one who had hurt his hero. He didn't think he could ever forget this.

But he wanted to.

Seeing her standing there, her blonde curls bobbing with her shallow breathing and her blue eyes rimmed with the tears, Kallm just wanted to pull her forward. To make sure she'd never feel that way again. But he knew he couldn't. Not until he had fixed this.

The thought shocked him. He had never given it a thought that perhaps, although he didn't have to forget what Corin had done, could he forgive her? If he was successful in returning Kayana to Vodia, could he give himself a chance to be happy? He wasn't sure if his own morals would allow it, but standing there, face to face with his Lavender, he was ready to give it a shot. And he wasn't going to lie, he was intensely happy that she seemed to be so affected by him. By his words that she could no longer hide what she was feeling. This was the girl that had captured his heart and soul months ago, the girl who breathed fire. Not the one he had encountered here. The meek child who he couldn't get to have a proper conversation with him. But she had changed. Could he too?

Kallm didn't know what was going through his mind. He didn't know if he was only thinking these things because he could see her there, or if this was what he truly thought.

"Kallm...." His name dripped off her tongue in the sweetest sound, and all Kallm could do to stop himself from going to her was turn around and walk out the door.

The Right Way