Chapter Fifteen

-At the Champions' field-

I see on my left some ruins, almost like this was a giant chess board right by the ocean. Mirana and I get off our horses, walking slowly up to where we meet Iracebeth. Stayne stays behind but makes sure I can see him glaring at me. The royals and I meet in the middle of everything and Iracebeth glances at me. "Hello Iracebeth," Mirana says while her hand is in the crook of my arm. I nod to Iracebeth in respect, while Iracebeth can't give my queen any care by looking her in the eye while greeting her, "Hello. Mirana." 

I saw that Iracebeth kept glancing at me as McTwisp announced, "On this Frabjous Day, the Queens, Red and White, shall send forth their champions to do battle on their behalf." Mirana looked at her sister while I quietly watched the exchange. "Oh, Racie. We don't have to fight," Mirana looks Iracebeth while trying to get her to see that this doesn't have to end like it's destined to. I grab Mirana's hand in comfort and I look to Iracebeth.

"I know what you're doing. You think you can blink those pretty little eyes and I'll melt just like mummy and daddy did," Iracebeth says softly and then looks at me, "Besides I am the eldest and I want Adrian." Mirana's face turns hard and then softens as she holds a hand out to her sister, "You do not love him as I do...Please." Iracebeth looks enraged, "No! It is my crown! I am the eldest!" I flinch at her suddenly loud tone and look behind me to Alice to make sure she is okay, to be met with a thumbs up from Alice herself. Iracebeth looks behind her and her army, "Jabberwocky!" 

Iracebeth looks back at us and sneers at Mirana, she then looks at me, "You don't have to stay with her, my love. You can always stay with me." Mirana looks mad and grips my hand. I look at Stayne to see him madder than ever. I look at Iracebeth with narrowed eyes, "No. I will stay with the queen I belong with. My fiance, Mirana." Iracebeth's face turns red as all three of us back up to our respective sides. 

Once we get back to Alice and the Hatter, I look to where a big tree is, only for it to reveal the Jabberwocky. I grimace, "Oh, that is not a good image." I look to my right to see the March Hare get terrified and hide behind Chesh, only for that grinning cat to disappear. Mirana looks saddened at the fact her sister won't give up and the fact that my sister has to do this, so I wrap my arm around her waist and bury my nose in her hair, whispering reassuring things to her. I saw a small smile creep on her face. 

I didn't notice that across the field, Iracebeth watched every reaction that Mirana had with malice and resentment, "That should be me Stayne. I deserve Adrian, not her." Stayne looked away from the Red Queen and looked at me with rage. I looked up and met Stayne's eyes with a promise of living from the fight he was going to bring. 

I walk over to Alice and the Mad Hatter, while they look astonished by the Jabberwocky; I pat my sister on the back and whisper good luck to her. I know it's unfair, but I can not do this myself apparently. "This is impossible," Alice said, staring at the Jabberwocky. The Hatter leans over to Alice and whispers, 'Only if you believe it is." I can only cringe at the creature. "Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast," Alice states quietly. I look down at the ground in sadness, knowing our father did the same. I raise my head up and get the courage for everything about to happen. I will do this and not fail. I will protect Mirana and survive. I will do anything to help my sister. The Hatter quickly looks to Alice, "That is an excellent practice. However, just at the moment, you really might want to focus on the Jabberwocky." 

Alice walks forward to Mirana as Iracebeth asks, "Where is your champion, sister?" I walk beside Alice and glare at Stayne. "Here," Alice states plainly. Iracebeth looks unamused, "Hello, Um." Iracebeth and Stayne move off to the side to show the Jabberwocky and Alice walks forward to meet him in the middle. 

The Jabberwocky roars at Alice, "So, my old foe, we meet on the battlefield once again." Alice looks confused, "We've never met." "Not you, insignificant bearer. My ancient enemy, the Vorpal one," The Jabberwocky states and leans forward flicking his tongue out like a snake. 

"That's enough chatter," Alice states plainly and slices his tongue off. I gag and hold my hand over my mouth and look over to see Mirana do the same. Hatter and I look at each other, "This might end in an outright battle, but are you ready friend?" I ask Hatter. Hatter grins madly, "Ready as ever, your majesty. I will stand by your side." I pat his back and grin at him, "Let's do this." As we stand, waiting for the opportune moment to interject, Alice gets launched by the Jabberwocky's tail. My jaw drops as I watch them battle to see purple lightning instead of fire being blown by the Jabberwocky. 

Alice picks up her fighting and I grin, knowing that she believes in herself. I sneer at the Jabberwocky since he punched Alice toward the ruins near the cliffs. As I grab my sword, the Jabberwocky's tail slides towards the Hatter and me. We look at each other and grin, having the same idea, we stand by the tail and poke it with our swords, and duck to avoid the tail being swung at us.

"The Hatter and White King are interfering! Off with their heads!" The Red Queen yells. I laugh in joy, knowing that she no longer wants me. Though she is very back and forth, I would not be surprised if this battle was done and she went back to loving me. I grow serious seeing Stayne pulling out his sword from the scabbard and stalk toward me with a grin. The Hatter and I nod to each other, "My King, I said I'd stand by you. I will fight Stayne with you." I smile at him, "Thank you, Hatter. Let's make this one a fight he won't forget." 

Hatter drops his hat and readies his sword, then we both walk to Stayne with one thing in mind. Stayne yells in rage, swinging his sword at me while trying to avoid Hatter. "You have been a pain since you arrived. I told you that the Red Queen was mine and I'd kill you for it," Stayne sneered at me, missing once again. "And I told you that I never wanted her. I've figured you out Stayne. You love power, not Iracebeth. As long as she reigns, you will act as loving as possible, but if Alice wins this battle and my queen is named Queen of Underland. You will beg for forgiveness," I stated, swinging my sword back at him, and slicing his arm.  

I look up at Alice, whose on top of the ruins with the Jabberwocky towering over her, worrying for her, only to look back to see Stayne swinging his sword at my head. I know that I am too late to protect myself, as foolish as it was to look away from the enemy. Hatter comes in just in time to collide with Stayne and struggle to push Stayne back, only for Hatter to poke his good eye with a pin out of his glove. Stayne shrieks in pain and stumbles, only for Hatter to trip him, and Stayne slams into the ground. Hatter towers over Stayne and raises his sword, I go wide-eyed. I really didn't think that Hatter was the type to kill, especially being a loyal subject to Mirana. 

Then I see that mad look in his eyes and Stayne holding his hands up, out of breath saying no. We all look up at Alice to see the Jabberwocky's head rolling down the stairs and Alice standing tall. I grin and run over to Mirana, hugging her close to my body. All the fighting stops and they all look to Alice and the slain Jabberwocky. Hatter looks at his hands and lowers the sword from Stayne's neck, dumbfounded that he even almost followed through with the killing. 

"Hello, my queen. Do you reign here often?" I grin as I dip Mirana while holding onto her waist. Mirana giggles and wraps her arms around my neck, "You are being very unprofessional, my king." I don't answer as I kiss her straight on the lips, ignoring the angry screams from Iracebeth in the background. I raise Mirana up and stop kissing her. I smile at Mirana and cup her cheek, "My beautiful and kind queen. I can't wait for the wedding to do what I want." Mirana blushes hard and swats my arm, "You behave." I pout and sulk, causing Mirana to giggle.

I'm glad Alice is okay, but, how am I going to explain to mother that I have to stay here? Will she think I'm mad?