CHAPTER TWO: WITHERING WEEDS

THE INTRICACIES OF THE MIND (PART TWO)

════════════════════════════════

Shinobu purrs loudly as she scratches him atop of his head, tail curling and flicking in the air. He headbutts her hand lightly as she goes to pull away, mouth latched onto her thumb to bring her hand back down. The sight makes Umeji chuckle lightly as she drags her fingers down the cat's back, ghostly touches leaving the feline splayed out on the blades of grass with a happy purr rumbling from his chest.

She continues the motion while getting her belongings out, mind mulling over what had happened only the night before.

Detention was largely uneventful for the most part, with no teacher to tell them what and what not to do, but she still remembers Blondie shaking her hand, telling her it was nice meeting you before she eventually decided to scram from the academy, leaving Umeji wondering when she'd spot the girl again, if she'd ever do so at all.

Iruka had been quite surprised that she hadn't skipped entirely, even though she had tried to during her little ramen trip, and like promised, he began to work with academy administrators to change her class. That, however, meant that Umeji often had nothing to do during classes, having done the entire year syllabus (or tried to, at the very least) out of spite from one of the teachers insisting that she had cheated on her mathematics exam and that he didn't want to deal with a 'detention brat's' work when he was one hundred percent certain that she had failed the class anyhow.

So, she sought out to prove the man wrong, much to the chagrin of Iruka and the pride of Ayame and her father.

Getting a copy of the syllabus hadn't been too hard. Turns out when you applied for a teaching position without actually caring for the students because they were just poor civilian brats (teacher's words, not hers), you severely underestimated the lengths one of those brats would go through to prove a point.

Or, in short, she had stolen the teacher's lounge key while everyone was on break and made her way to the lounge, creating a brand new copy of the syllabus that Sensei had refused to give her and spent days if not weeks slowly becoming months in doing every single homework assignment listed on the half folded pages.

The only things that were left were the tests and final quiz.

Both of which Umeji wanted to leave behind as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, it didn't look like she would get her wish as so desired and with a sigh, Umeji stretched, feeling the spring sun on her skin. Beside her, Shinobu purred, mimicking her actions.

It made her smile seeing the cat at ease. Having found the poor thing eating scraps from an alleyway near the dango shop had been one of the many encounters Umeji would have that soon gave way to who she was as a person and picking the cat up, she scratched behind his ears, giggling into his fur. "Who's a happy little kitty? Who's a happy little kitty? That's right, you are!" Shinobu meows, licking at her face as Umeji laughed, falling onto her side with a chortle.