Chapter 48

Ari stared down at the sink gripping it to gather himself.

This wasn't an unfamiliar feeling for him, he was used to how it felt whenever his heat was coming. He gulped down the discomfort feeling like the whiteness of the sink was blinding him, and an already used needle was lying beside the soap. It wasn't working.

"Please go away." He begged barley able to stand anymore and almost slipped when he lifted a hand to reach for another needle.

He was so glad it was winter as it made the inside of the bathroom feel ice cold, and the moment he felt the needle in his hand was the moment he let himself take a few steps back until his back met with a cold tiled wall. It soothed the painful hot feeling that was coursing through him, and he let himself slide down the floor grateful for how thin of a layer his shirt provided against it.

Despite trying to keep himself in control, he still took his shirt off just to feel the cold wall against his bare skin, but there was no real relief as it felt like he was making it melt from how hot he was instead.

He blinked a few times in a dizzy bafflement as he punctured his skin with the needle and waited for it to take effect. Gradually, it did, but it wasn't like before.

Two doses he never needed before, and yet it barely helped.

His head rested lazily on his knees as he counted down numbers to distract himself from all the agony. It wasn't anything he wasn't used to before, so he just tolerated it until his pain was alleviated by the meds he injected himself with.

Ari was finally able to take a much-needed shower to scrub off all the invitingly sweet scents on his body before he went out with Rowan.

Wasting no time, he immediately hopped into the shower and carefully cleaned himself making sure to be extra thorough around his nape, lower back, and an area that was much too embarrassing for him to touch without turning red. It used to always be awkward whenever he cleaned it, but now it just brought back intimate memories he needed to distract himself from.

A whole week of them.

It's the last thing he should think of.

Shaking off any unneeded thoughts away, Ari quickly finished up and put on clothes with as many layers covering his skin as possible, thankful he could get away with it since it is winter.

He rushed down the stairs to the empty floor guessing that his mother had already left like she always does around this time, but he stopped once he caught sight of his reflection in a nearby mirror. While his heat might have gone away, his skin was still flushed from head to toe. It was noticeable on his face with his cheeks and nose being red, and he couldn't help but be thankful once more for winter.

The redness could totally be blamed on the cold.

Grabbing a scarf hanging by the door, he wrapped it around his face not having to think of an excuse as to why he was hiding it. Rowan already knew he got cold easily.

"We are not staying outside." She told him the moment she saw him approach before she giggled at him amusedly, peeking under his scarf. "Looks like I am not the only one who is cold."

"It makes me wish we also got a layer of fur." He told her wistfully as he sniffed, and this time it really was from the cold. "Instead, I got to smell all the teenage boys around me during high school."

Rowan choked back a laugh. "Oh god."

"At that time I really wished I couldn't smell anything."

"Yeah, I don't doubt it. Must have sucked." She agreed walking on the sidewalk as he followed her shivering slightly. "But I still think hearing things we're not supposed to is just as bad." Rowan shuddered at a certain memory and that made Ari look at her curiously.