42| Shifting

Bryan's POV:

After a long and eventful shower, we change into comfortable lounge wear before heading down to dinner. James decided we needed to unwind with a pizza and movie night. With all of our emotions in turmoil, I had to agree with him.

We make our way down to the theater room and settle in. The group debates on which movie to watch, but we settle on an action flick. After scarfing down the pizza, Whitney brings us a large array of snacks, drinks, and plenty of popcorn. James starts the movie and we all relax.

About half way through the movie, I notice silent tears falling down Mandy's face. I look back at the movie to see if the scene was a sad one, but it's just a fight scene.

Baby, what's wrong? I say through mindlink not wanting to disturb or alert the others. She doesn't look at me.

"I miss them. I want them back." she whispers. I realize I've never taught her how to mindlink and I know exactly who she's referring to. Sam and Luke have been held prisoner for over a month now.

Our best trackers found out where they were being held, but they are heavily guarded and we can't get to them without a full-on war starting. We have to wait for Marcus to make the first move. It totally sucks, but we have no choice. I know, deep down, their absence is killing her and she is working hard so she can help be a part of the rescue mission. I wrap my arm around her and pull her into my lap. She continues to cry softly into my chest. I rub circles on her back until I feel her relax into me. It doesn't take long before she's asleep in my arms.

I stand up and nod to everyone goodnight and make my way to our room. I lay her on the bed and wrap the covers around her. I feel Max stirring in my head, he is restless and ready to end this. I also know he's anxious about tomorrow night. She will turn and he will have his mate, not that he doesn't love Amanda, but it's different.

I step out onto the balcony and stare up at the moon. I say a silent prayer to the Moon Goddess, hoping I've done enough to win this war. I feel the tiredness of the day finally settle into my mind and I make my way to our bed and snuggle up close to my already snoring mate. Tomorrow, her world changes... again.

I wake to the early morning rays of the sun flooding our bedroom. The curtains are open wide and I see Mandy cross-legged on the balcony. I roll out of bed and stand at the balcony door behind her.

"What are you doing?" I ask confused.

"Sssshhh!! I'm meditating! Cora says it's great for controlling my emotions and, since I seem to be a little emotional with everything going on, I decided to add it to my morning routine." She remains still and her eyes closed.

"Ah! Makes sense." I sit and watch her.

"Are you just going to stand there and stare? Cause that's not creepy at all! Even if you are my mate." I see the mischievous smirk on her face.

"Oh really?! Creepy, am I?" I decide the best punishment is to tickle her. She burst out in laughter and shrills for me to halt the attack. I stop when I have her pinned to the floor. I gaze at her beautiful features. "Are you excited for tonight?"

"I'm excited about meeting my wolf, yes. I'm not excited about the pain." she admits honestly. I nod in understanding. I lean down and kiss her soft lips.

"You will be fine, I promise. You will be surrounded by people who love you and will help you through it. Warriors will be stationed around the training center, so you will be protected during your shift. And I will be with you every step of the way. I love you, Amanda." I smile knowing my words have reassured her. "Now, shifting takes A LOT of energy so we need to fill that belly up with lots of carbs! Let's go!" I lift her from the floor and we quickly brush our teeth and get dressed.