~ 1 ~

~ Y/N POV ~

"Trix, come on!" I yelled, racing down the road on my mechabeast. Emmie (short for Emerald) chirps in delight from her spot on my shoulder.

"Hold on Y/N! Slow down! I can't get a good shot!" Trixie says, trying to hold her camera steady.

"That's kind of the point." I explain jokingly. She groans and my gaze moves to the side of the road to see a man pointing his blaster at a boy who was lying on the ground. "Someones in trouble!" I shout as I pull out my blaster.

"On it!" Trixie replies, firing her Arachnet slug, binding the man in webs. I fire my Rammstone, knocking the man over. The boy lets out a sigh of relief. He has black hair and blue eyes, looking around my age of 15. His features are eerily familiar, but I can't figure out how. "Thanks Pronto."

"Who's Pronto? And you're welcome," Trixie says and I smirk.

"This road is crawling with guys like that, you should be more careful," I tell him, tucking my blaster back at my side.

We turn and ride off without letting him respond, but not before hearing him shout "Who are you?" after us.

I smile slightly to myself. "That guy is going to get himself killed." I mumble under my breath. Trixie agrees and the two of us continue racing down the road.

~

Trixie and I dismount from our mechas once we reach the first cavern where the tournament is being held. We both decided we could use a few more slugs and some extra practice. We make our way over to the sign up tent, where a man with the clipboard stands waiting to take names.

"Name?" He asks without looking up.

"Trixie Sting and Y/N L/N." Trixie replies. The man glances up with raised brows. "L/N, huh? I feel bad for the rest of these guys."

I smirk. "You should. I don't plan on playing it safe."

Without hearing his response, I drag Trixie away and towards the practice targets. "What did I say about posting videos of me on the slugnet?" I scold, crossing my arms with a glare. Trixie smiles. "What? I'm only showing the rest of the world how amazing my best friend is." She defends, pulling out her camera again.

I roll my eyes before firing my Thresher slug, Blade, at the nearest target as Trixie zooms in on the shot. I never understood how she could always perfectly frame and film just about everything. The slug hits the direct center of the target, shattering it immediately. Before I can tell her off about videoing me again, laughter sounds from a group of competitors near the sign up tent.

"Check it out! The kid thinks he's a Shane!"

My blood runs cold as I still, my blaster lowering to my side. It has been five years since Will... left. Five years of silence from this mysterious son that he had always talked about. I had started to believe that he wasn't coming at all.

After I got the letter, it wasn't long before the hideout was raided. Once people realized Shane wasn't around anymore, nothing was stopping them. I managed to get out with my blaster and a few of my slugs, including Emmie. After that, I ended up living on the streets for years. I had known Trixie since I was in diapers (even though she is older than me by a couple years), but I wouldn't let her know where I was staying. I knew she would try to convince her parents to take me in, but I didn't want to be an extra burden to another person. She had only found out last year, and has been making me stay with her ever since.

Trixie notices my sudden change. "Y/N? Is everything alright?" She questions, concern laced through her words.

I don't respond. The kid wanders through the area, looking slightly dazzled by everything around him. He walks closer, and I get a better look at his features. The dark hair and deep blue eyes are the same as Wills. The resemblance is uncanny, and before I know it Trixie is shooing him out of the way.
"Uh, excuse me? You're in my shot,"