Chapter 3

a/n: Happy Christmas Eve-Eve my loves. I hope you enjoy this chapter. Don't forget to comment and vote!

cw: mention of anxiety, panic attacks

-

Rue

Darkness. Nothing but darkness and the sound of the radio in the background.

After we got told our plane was taking off without us and there was no way of flying to Germany that night, we decided to rent a car and drive the rest of the way.

Bucky didn't talk much during the two hours of considering what to do next, renting a car and getting our asses on the road. However, he tried to remain calm, but that was just the calm before the storm, I suppose.

In the middle of the night we were on the road to Germany. We'd already survived one and a half hours of driving without ripping each other's heads off, which I would consider progress in this strange relationship we had.

I was sitting in the passenger seat as Bucky brought us through the dark roads of Germany.

"You still didn't thank me," he said. His eyes were focused on the street that was barely visible to me.

I turned my head to look at him. He was wearing a white hoodie and black sweatpants that fit him just perfectly. I never liked boys who wore sweatpants, but on him, it looked different. Different in a good way.

"Nothing, huh?" He gave me a quick glance before he turned his eyes to the road again. I remained quiet, not feeling the urge to talk to him right now.

"Or did you just call me a jerk again but this time I actually couldn't hear you?" he continued with a grin plastered on his face.

My cheeks grew hot at his remark, taking me back to yesterday night at the restaurant where I called him a jerk under my breath.

He let out a big sigh. "Look. I know we don't get along pretty much, but I promised Steve I would at least try to pretend I can tolerate your presence for those two weeks." With both hands at the top of the steering wheel, he bit his bottom lip looking at the street.

"Do you think we can do that?" He gave me a quick glance before focusing on the street again. I still looked at him.

These words sounded so foreign coming out of his mouth, and I knew why. It wasn't his intention to say that. I bet a pinky that it was Steve who wanted him to raise the white flag.

"Why are you even here?" I asked out of nowhere since this question hadn't escaped my mind since last night.

He never went to Germany with us. Not that it bothered me, but why now? Why not last year or the year before? Something was off. I could feel it.

He looked at me, his lips parted in surprise, leaving his mouth open with a small gap.

"She talks," he gasped.

"Screw you," I rolled my eyes and turned my head to watch the dark trees outside.

"I got a few weeks off. That's all," he answered. I could hear his hands tapping on the steering wheel. I nodded, not really believing his statement but also not interested in going further with this conversation. 

"Now that I answered one of your questions, how about you answer mine?"

I looked at him again and frowned. What did he ask me again?

As if reading my mind, he continued, "Can we at least try to get along over these two weeks? For Steve?

"I know you don't like me, and it will be hard for the both of us, but somewhere inside you, I'm sure there is a small spot that can tolerate me. Even though you might not believe me, I assure you, I have a small spot in my heart, too, telling me you're not that horrible to hang out with." he gestured with his hands.