VIII.

(chapter 8)

Vinny was a mess.

He had never been on an actual date before, let alone with someone as good looking as Owen. He had no idea how to feel or what to do with his nerves. Further, he didn't know what to wear! They hadn't really talked much since that day in the cafe, and nothing that was talked about had anything to do with what the date was going to be. He didn't know where Owen was going to take him or what they were going to do. How was he supposed to pick what to wear? The only relief he felt was in knowing that there weren't any more formal places nearby, and the chances of Owen wanting to go an hour or two out of the way to go to one were slim to none.

He couldn't ask Dee for help because she was busy with her daughter, who had gotten sick again, somehow. Asking his mom was definitely out of the question, for obvious reasons. He sighed, letting his body fall back on his clothing littered bed. Blowing the hair out of his face, Vinny stared up at his bedroom ceiling. He was just glad that he had started getting ready early, so he would have enough time to figure out just what the hell to wear. He knew this would be a problem. It always was, even if it was just a friendly hang out with Dee, but usually he at least had her help figuring it out.

He pouted, fingers twirling his hair. He had to figure out something to wear. He couldn't go out in his casual, at-home clothes, especially not with Owen. A sigh pushed through his lips as he forced himself back to standing and stalked back over to his closet. He needed to wear something, and he wasn't going to figure it out just laying around.

There weren't very many options, really. None that would be great for the current weather. Just jeans and various styles of shirts, most of them t-shirts or cropped tanks that he could only wish to be able to freely wear. His gaze strayed to the clothing hidden in the back of his closet. A single skirt and some shorts that would be deemed too short for a boy to wear by his mother. His teeth nibbled his lower lip as he forced his eyes back to his other clothes, hands moving to pick out a pair of well-worn black jeans with rips in the knees, a tank top that was just long enough that he could claim it was tucked in if his mom questioned him over it, and a black floral button-up.

An outfit that wouldn't have his mom asking any questions but would be expressive enough that he could feel comfortable in himself. And best of all: cute. He felt cute, and while still nervous, he was much more ready for the date than just a few minutes ago. Walking into his bathroom, he wet his fingers to brush through and tame his hair. The waves curled more, some strands darkening from the regular copper with the water. Moving a few specific pieces, he was finished with his hair, just in time for his phone to beep with a message.

His heart stuttered in his chest before it set a fast pace that left him breathless and his cheeks red. It could only be Owen. Everyone who had his number was busy, and he had asked him to text when he made it to his house. He didn't want his mother asking any more questions than she already would be with him leaving the house and not being home for dinner time. He didn't want her questioning why a man was picking him up, let alone one who's all dressed up and keeping him from home for so long.

Striding across the room, Vinny picked his phone up from his bed, pulse thrumming in his throat. A tremor overtook his hand when he checked the name displayed above the message, proving himself correct. Owen. His breath caught in his throat as he read the text.

owen:

I'm here

don't forget to bring a light jacket!

His heart stuttered, but he ignored it as he gathered up his things. Requested light jacket? Check. Chapstick? Check. Phone? In his back pocket, check. Portable charger? Check. Wallet with I.D., spare cash, and debit card? Check. Small bag to hold all the smaller things? Clipped to his belt. He was ready. At the very least, he was prepared. Maybe. His nose wrinkled, and he shook his head of any thoughts. His heart was already beating too fast, he didn't need his thoughts to start spiraling.