XVIII.

(chapter 18)

After a brief stop at Vinny's apartment so the poor guy could get anything he would need for a night over, Owen led him across the hall and through the apartment door. Mason and Lola were on the couch, and they turned at the sound of the door being pushed open. Worry was clear on their faces, bags packed and at the ready, resting beside the door just in case they needed to give the two of them some privacy.

Owen rubbed a hand down Vinny's back, trying to get him to calm down. "Let's go sit, baby," he whispered softly, pressing at his lower back to gently push him over to the living area.

"Hi," Vinny whispered out, settling on the end of the couch.

"Hi, Vinny," Lola said, leaning around Mason to smile sympathetically at him. "I'm Lola." Owen settled himself on the floor in front of Vinny, letting his head fall back to rest on his knee, not speaking, just letting Vinny know that he was there.

"Hi, Lola. It's nice to officially meet you," Vinny murmured, fingers moving of their own accord to thread through Owen's hair. "And you too...Mason, right?"

Mason nodded but didn't say anything, and Owen hoped that Vinny wouldn't take it in a negative way. His friend often went through periods of extroversion that were immediately followed by moments of intense introversion, leaving him painfully shy. It seemed that he was back to being less social.

"I'm sorry it has to be under these circumstances," Lola replied, playing with the ends of her blue hair.

Vinny's resultant smile was sad, and Owen's heart stopped in his chest at the sight. "Well," Vinny mumbled after a moment. "No time like the present."

Mason cleared his throat, shifting in his seat, and Lola settled a hand on his shoulder. "Um," he started, clearing his throat again. "Do you want us to leave or..?"

He visibly cringed at his wording, shoulders hunching. But Vinny didn't seem to take it badly, simply offering a tiny smile, head tilting to the side. "No," he said softly. "No, I want to get to know you both."

Lola leaned forward, her chin resting on Mason's shoulder to look at Vinny. "That sounds good," she responded. "Just let us know if you just wanna be alone with Owen, okay? We don't mind leaving if you want some privacy."

"I think a distraction would serve me well right now," Vinny said. He looked like he had more to say, but paused to mull it over for a moment.

Vinny looked down as Owen, eyes darting over his face for a moment. Owen smiled up at him, raising a brow at him in question. The red head leaned down, lips brushing over his ear lightly, causing Owen's heart to jerk in his chest, breath catching for a moment. "Have you told them about your dad yet?" he whispered.

His warm breath ghosted down his neck, and Owen fought back a shiver as he shook his head. "Not yet," he murmured back, not caring that the other two could hear him or that they were looking between the two of them. "But no time like the present, right?"

Vinny giggled before sitting back up. "And Owen could use a distraction, too."

"Emergency Roommate Day!" Lola exclaimed, standing from the couch to run down the hall to her room. Owen assumed to grab her phone. She paused at her bedroom door, looking back at them. "Plus Vinny. Do you drink, Vinny?"

"Alcohol?" he questioned. "Sometimes."

In response, she nodded then she disappeared through the doorway.

"Chinese takeout sound good?" Mason asked, standing and stretching his arms over his head.

Owen looked at Vinny, who nodded. He couldn't help but chuckle at how confused Vinny was. "Yes," he answered Mason, patting Vinny's leg lightly as Lola came back into the room.