Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold

Amicia noted that Sergio and his comrade had been expertly killed, hence why there had been no alarm. The guards that were posted at the gate were also dead outside the walls. The pregnant girl before her was sobbing uncontrollably.

"I'm... I'm so sorry... I had no idea... They offered... to pay me... if I did what they asked..."

Her eyes looked up at Amicia beseechingly. The hatred she felt as she looked at this woman was not helping her see reason. Amicia took a deep breath. "Let me guess... They asked you to pretend to be in labor... So you could draw the magister out. Correct?" Lucas could never say no to a woman with child. He was too kind. 

The girl nodded, tears streaming down her eyes. "I didn't know they were going to kidnap him! I swear! Please have mercy on me and my unborn child! You're a mother surely!"

Amicia's back stiffened. The woman dared bring her child into this! "Tell me all you know... And I will show you the mercy you so desire."

"They.. they told me to tell you... they'll kill your husband... if you don't follow them... They said to meet somewhere strange called... La Cuna..."

Amicia would have normally shown pity to such a person having seen many women such as her in her travels, but the fact that she had been instrumental in taking her husband away from her was making her see red. "I will deal with you when I return... Pray he doesn't die. Take her to a room and hold her till I return..." she told the guard standing next to her.

After checking the nursery to see the children were safe, she was thankful they had as many guards as they did. Posting a guard at the nursery, Amicia worked fast waking up Gia and Firmin. She instructed Gia to watch over the children while she called Sergio's second-in-command, Ignace . Ignace had joined them a few years prior and had been studying under Sergio ever since. He was a capable man, and they had come to depend on him like they had Sergio. Ignace only let the faintest sign of distress cross his face at the news of his leader's death before doing what must be done. 

Firmin was to help take care of Sergio's body once she was gone. Ignace helped Amicia summon a servant to prepare a message and set more guards around the house. They were taking no chances. She sent the servant to get Magister Moreau and let him know what happened. She couldn't just sit and wait.

As Ignace got the house in order, Amicia gathered her gear. Crossbow, sling, rapier, light armor, everything that she could carry without slowing herself down. Putting her things together and went down to the stables to load her fastest horse, Firmin followed her doing what he could.

"Are you sure you're going on your own, M'Lady??" Firmin asked worriedly.

"I would go with Sergio, but those bastards killed him. Don't worry, I know someone in Marseille. I can't wait. Lord knows what they'll do to him before I get there. I haven't a moment to lose."

Firmin looked frightened, and Amicia couldn't blame him. He had never seen her so upset or so angry. They'd never lost the lord of the house nor seen someone killed while they had been there. Amicia swore under her breath. They had been too careless. Never again. She was going to save her husband or die trying.

Amicia took a steadying breath. One thing she had learned in her many years now was to stop and think. She needed a plan. Quickly.

"Firmin, before you take care of Sergio, can you help me in Lucas' study?"

Confused, he nodded.

"What about the children, My Lady?" Firmin asked.

"Let me see them but I can't wake them."

Amicia practically sprinted towards the nursery again where Felicite lay in bed holding Jean-Luc. Without waking them, she kissed their foreheads. She dared not say goodbye. She had to believe she and Lucas were coming back alive. Her children couldn't lose them like she had lost hers. She wouldn't allow it. Turning to little Loup, she whispered, "Take care of them, okay?" he wagged his tail as if in answer.