Melancholia

GUYS.     Oh my lord.

This chapter is 15,000 words. Sorry for the extra extra late update, I was sick.

THE FINALE IS HERE.

ENJOY THE FINALE. ILL SEE YOU AT THE END.

Also okay maybe I'm mentally Ill but Henry covered and blood is so 🫦🫦🫦 and in this chapter he's so baby girl and hot

________

When I finally managed to open my eyes, the entire world was a mess of blurred lines and shapeless walls. My surroundings were too bleary to discern, and the incessant weight pushing on my eyelids hardly did me any favors. The lulling pull of sleep whispered its siren's song in my ear and I knew that to fight it would be equivalent to fighting the pull of gravity.

The odds were so impossibly out of my favor, and yet I managed to defy them.

Though, I couldn't give myself too much credit. I wasn't consciously trying to stay awake. In fact, I didn't want to, but the unendurable nuisance that was the pounding in my head took away my choice in the matter. Consciousness returned to me as slowly as syrup dripping down a bottle. With each passing moment, I felt a new nerve being activated, a new bruise being pressed on. Still, my head was the worst by far. I could hear my own heartbeat as though I were holding a stethoscope to my chest. It boomed in my ears and echoed around my skull like gunfire. The pain was endless.

Moving my arm was a surprisingly difficult task. The first time I tried, it flopped uselessly by my side. The second, it didn't so much as move. I ceased my efforts and felt the cool, sobering kiss of tile against my cheek. I relished in it's brisk embrace, though that's not to say it did much to calm the raging headache splitting apart my brain.

It did, however, wake me enough to wonder why the hell I was on the floor.

When I tried to sit up, a ringing filled my ears. High pitched, cutting, quite possibly the worst noise I'd ever had the displeasure of hearing. I cursed beneath my breath and returned to my place on the floor. One moment passed, then another. My entire body felt as though it would give out at a moment's notice.

This time, when I went to move my arm, I actually made some progress. The task of bringing it to my head in search of whatever ailed me, however, was extraordinarily trying. I persisted, and after a few annoyed huffs, some light cursing, and a considerable amount of pain, I managed to touch my fingertips against the base of my skull. There, my flesh dampened with something liquid and warm. A little ways above it was a deep, searing gash spanning a few inches along my head. My body jolted when I pressed the wound a little bit too hard, and I hastily pulled away my hand.

Blood stained my fingertips. Or, at least, I thought it was blood. Regardless of how many times I tried to blink away the fogginess in my eyes, my fingers remained a blurred mess of crimson and flesh. I couldn't see where one began and the other ended.

That was, until, I let my hand drop back onto the floor. Instead of connecting with hard tile like I anticipated, it fell onto something warm and damp.

A gasp tore from my throat when I saw a face not even three feet away from me. Instinctually, I sat up and jerked away, too shocked to remember the state of my head. As soon as I moved, I regretted it. A pressure grew behind my eyes, debilitating enough to rid any and all thoughts from my head.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," I pounded my fist against the floor, hoping to alleviate the pain and shock myself back into reality. Like a tide rolling out, the ache in my head slowly but surely ebbed away. Though, that's not to say I couldn't feel the relentless pounding in the back of my head. Another groan slipped from my lips.