Chapter Seventeen: What I Want

"How are you feeling?" Marco asked softly smiling at Finn, he'd just gotten home from his latest round of chemo and he was watching over the little boy; he could see how tired Finn was and he knew it wasn't easy for him.

Marco brushed his fingers through Finn's brown hair, he was just glad to have the little boy home now and he hoped that the treatment would be over with quickly.

Finn shrugged his shoulders making Marco sigh, he hated seeing the little boy like this and he wished that there was something that he could do to cheer him up when he was down.

"Do you want to watch a film?" Marco suggested wanting to help in some way, Sansa was busy preparing lunch and he knew that she had enough to do without being worried every moment.

Marco was doing everything that he could to support his girlfriend, he was still waiting for her to decide if he could adopt Finn; he wanted to help her more than he was already doing.

"Okay," Finn said nodding his head, he liked Marco and he made his mother happy; he knew they were safe here and he liked it that way, he didn't want anything to ruin the family that they had built together.

Marco smiled moving to put on Finn's favourite film, he was glad that he didn't just want to spend the day sleeping and he wished that there was something more that he could do.

Putting the DVD on, Marco moved to sit down next to Finn on the couch and relaxed; he peeked towards the kitchen knowing that Sansa was keeping herself busy right now.

Finn cuddled into Marco's side making the footballer look down at him and smile, he wrapped his arm carefully around Finn keeping him close while the film started a head of them.

Marco stared ahead, he still hadn't told Sansa about his mother's visit and he knew that he was going to have to tell her sooner or later; he didn't want anyone else telling her what had happened.

***

Sansa sighed moving to make sure that the spaghetti was cooking okay, she was making Finn's favourite for dinner since he had been such a good boy during his chemo; she hated how it drained him but it was the only way to make him better.

Sansa chewed on her lip, she had no idea what she would have done without Marco's help when it came to all of this; she would have been lost and he had been wonderful since they had gotten back together three months ago.

The one thing that had dawned on Sansa in those three months was the fact that there had been no sign of any of Marco's family, they hadn't even spoken to him on his birthday and that made her worry.

Sansa was beginning to think that something had happened that Marco wasn't telling her about, she didn't know what could have happened but she knew that his parents had every right to dislike her presence in their son's life.

"Do you need any help?" Marco asked stepping into the kitchen, he wanted to help and he was sure that he wouldn't get in Sansa's way; he needed to talk to her and he hoped to get an answer about adopting Finn.

Marco watched Sansa check on the spaghetti before she moved on to the meatballs and the sauce, he wasn't surprised that she was making Finn's favourite again since he was doing so well with his treatment.

"Could you get the plates?" Sansa asked not looking to Marco, she knew why he had come to speak with her and she had hoped that he would let it rest for a while.

Marco nodded his head and moved to get some plates, he loved her cooking and it was great to be able to taste it again; he peeked at Sansa knowing that he had to ask about the adoption.

"Have you given any thought to our talk?" Marco asked nervously, he knew that she had so much to consider about it but this was what he wanted; he wasn't going to change his mind nor would he let it go.

Sansa sighed turning to face Marco, she stared at him not sure quite what to say to him about this; she knew that he was wonderful with Finn but that didn't stop her worries.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" Sansa asked checking that the sauce didn't burn, she peeked at Marco wanting to be entirely sure before she said anything else.

Finn was her world and she didn't want him getting hurt, he had enough pain in his life and Sansa didn't want to agree only for things not to work out; they hadn't been together that long and this scared her.

"More than anything," Marco reassured setting the plates down and moving to get the cutlery, he wished that there was some way to ease Sansa's worried about this but she had every right to be concerned after everything that had happened.

"I want us to be a family Sansa... you, me and Finn," Marco continued watching his girlfriend, things wouldn't really change and he wanted to be able to call Finn his son; it still rubbed him up the wrong way that Connor had fathered the little boy.

Marco wasn't ever going to be able to forget that fact but Finn deserved better than a rapist for his father, he deserved someone who looked after him and did things with him without the objective of getting close to Sansa and to hurt her.

"I meant what I said last month," Marco insisted moving towards Sansa as she turned off the cooker, he loved her and he was going to make things right between them; they were doing so well and the media interest was going quiet now.

Sansa chewed on her lip as she moved to drain the water out of the pan with the pasta in it, she focused on what she was doing so she didn't drop the pasta in the sink.

"What about your parents?" Sansa asked softly, she moved to plate up the pasta while Marco stirred the sauce for her; she hadn't seen any of them and it was clear that Marco was hiding something from her.

Marco paused for a moment, he hadn't thought that she would risk bringing up his parents; he swallowed knowing that his mother had made it clear that she wanted nothing to do with him while he was dating Sansa.

"It doesn't matter," Marco replied shaking his head, he grabbed a big spoon and moved to start placing the meatballs and sauce onto the pasta; he wasn't going to let his parents' refusal to accept Sansa get in his way.

Sansa stared at Marco, her stomach flipping at the thought that Marco had done something that had ruined things with his family for her; she didn't want him losing them like she had lost hers.

"I think they'd care if you adopted another man's child," Sansa whispered softly leaving the dating part left unsaid, they both knew that was the main problem and a fact that couldn't be changed after everything that had happened.

Marco gritted his teeth, he wished his mother had just listened to why he had taken Sansa back; he wasn't angry about the past and he wished his parents would let it go as well.

"This isn't about what they want, this is about what I want," Marco insisted softly shaking his head, he had made his decision and he wasn't going to change his mind; he wanted Sansa and Finn in his life, his family were just going to have to accept that.

Sansa took a deep breath, she loved Marco and he had been so good to her and Finn after everything that had happened; if he was sure about this then she didn't have it in her to deny him anymore.