Only the Good Die Young

Nyx landed in the throne room to chaos, her eyes took in the situation in an instant

Nyx landed in the throne room to chaos, her eyes took in the situation in an instant. Her Master was on the ground writhing in pain as a the mortal who had possession of the ruby stood over him sucking his life essence away.

Now, Nyx's entire being was made to protect the Dreaming and her Master so the best plan came to her in a moment. She ran forward sword raised and made to strike the mortal who just barely saw her and dodged out of the way.

The mortal whose name was John Dee glared at the figure who now stood sword raised between himself and the Sandman. The woman was tall with stark white hair and skin, her body was trim the figure of a warrior and her eyes... Her eyes were brown and they were daringJohn to attack her, behind her the Sandman raised himself up as best he could his voice calling "Nyx!"

But the woman stood her ground as John raised the ruby using it to pull the power from both the Endless and the Keeper. He watched with joy as they fell to the ground, Nyx groaned in pain allowing her energy to flow from her and her sword. Dream crawled to her as best he could trying to shield her from the attack as he called to John "You're hurting the dreamers."

"Well, it's time they woke up!" The mortal cried "Your life and your lies end now."

Suddenly a burst of light overtook everything as the ruby exploded, and John found himself standing in a room of nothing. He glanced about and laughed in disbelief"I did it. I killed him. I won."

Suddenly before him a figure appeared, the woman from before except now her brown eyes had changed to an overwhelming glow of white. Her sword glowed in her hand and she smiled cruelly "You little fool, you play with powers you do not understand and expect to beat those who created them."

With a flash of light she disappeared and a fathomless voice spoke "Thank you, John." The mortal looked up and realized exactly where he stood, in the palm of Dream of the Endless, and beside the Dream Lord stood his Keeper both bigger than life. John Dee did not understand "But I killed you."

"You destroyed the ruby and released the power inside it. I would never have thought of that. I'd forgotten just how much of myself I had placed in the jewel." The Dream Lords dark eyes turned to his Keeper "But My Nyx did not, she always did warn me about that thing."

"Are you going to kill me?" The Mortal askedf ear in his voice, Dream glanced to his Keeper whose eyes were dark with a murderous rage. She wanted the mortal dead for what he had dared to so, but for once Dream chose to have mercy "I could. Nyx wants me too. Perhaps I will. But the dream stone was not made for mortals. And it came to you through no fault of your own. So, no, John. I will not kill you." In a moment they had transported to the insane asylum that Dee had come from, and the mortal slept. Dream sighed tiredly "Sleep well, John."

As he arrived back in his kingdom he found Nyx as she used to be, her beauty and power almost as limitless as his own. She stepped towards him but paus3d as though unsure whether or not things had changed. Morpheus moved closer taking her face in his hands lovingly, tthere were tears streaming down her face a sign of the fear she had felt when she found her beloved on the ground writhing in pain.