4

Currently I'm wrapping some gifts for the children in the orphanage. It's Christmas time and usually those children don't get gifts, let alone decent ones. My mother decided she wanted to give something special to every single one of them, so all year she's been knitting sweaters for them. I aspire to be like my mother. Only someone as kind as her could take that much time to make children she doesn't even know happy.

Also, Harry kept his word and showed up again. He's actually been coming more and more. I don't know what to think of it. Part of me wants to actually believe he wants to be my friend while another part of me is saying he's using me to get things. Either way it's nice to talk to someone other than the guards for once. As much as I love them, I need someone around my age in my life. It also turns out Harry is just a year older than me which is perfect. I'm turning 18 tomorrow and Harry is turning 19 in February.

Speaking of my birthday I was really hoping I could go out in the town. Considering I'm turning 18 and rarely leave the palace I thought it would be a good gift, but the king went crazy after I told him that. He said if I ever left he'd keep me locked out, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

"How far along are you sweetheart?" My mom asks coming down from upstairs.

"I wish I could say a lot, but I've only gotten the first four done," I sigh as my mom sits next to me.

"It's okay honey, I'll help you since I'm done knitting," she grabs a box and some wrapping paper. She starts wrapping the box with her delicate fingers. "Anything you want to do for your birthday?"

"I wanted to go see the town, but the king said no," I complain to her. She takes a deep breath, she always hated when I called him the king instead of dad. 

"I'll talk to him for you, but in the meantime get busy wrapping these," she says as she hands me another box.

I take it and start wrapping it in the red paper. Often I find myself jealous of the orphans. That may sound weird and ungrateful, but I want to know what it's like to have someone else other than a parent. I mean technically I really only have one parent, my mom, since my dad isn't even really my dad. I want a friend.

That's exactly why I don't tell the guards about Harry. He's the closest thing I've ever had to a friend. He's consistent in my life and as annoying as I find him, sometimes I do enjoy his company. He's been coming around more frequently, almost every night now.

~

Instead of falling asleep I just wait for him to show up. I know now that it's going to happen, and since my tutoring lessons are on hold due to Christmas it doesn't really matter what time I got to bed. I just scroll through my phone for a bit before Harry shows up. When he does he keeps it quiet thankfully.

"A little birdy told me it was your birthday," is the first thing he says as he enters the room. It was 12:32 A.M. so it was officially Christmas Eve.

"That birdy would be correct," I reply back to him.

"You should come out with me, I promise it'll be fun." My heart races at the idea of leaving the palace and seeing more than just gardens and chandeliers.

"I would, but if the king finds out-"

"Oh please Lou, live a little," he says. "Who cares if he finds out, you're 18 now; he can't boss you around forever."

"I don't think you understand, my dad would kill me if I left."

"Who says he has to find out," he smiled at me rebelliously.

"Oh please, my dad has eyes and ears everywhere. If I was seen everyone would know who I was."

"Then we don't have to go anywhere with a lot people, please Lou?" He asks jumping on my bed and sitting right next to me. "I want to hangout with you."

"Hangout?" I ask not knowing exactly what that is. I've heard the term before but never knew what it meant. He suddenly bursts out in a fit of laughter.

"It's what friends do," is all he tells me. I try to hide my smile by the fact he just called us friends.

"Okay, but let me get ready. I don't want anyone recognizing me." I shoo him into my bathroom as I get ready in my bedroom.