28

I woke up the next morning with my mom beside me sitting up. I realized this whole thing wasn't one big nightmare, and Harry is going to be dead within the next two days.

My mom is awake and on her phone texting someone.

"Mom," I say and she looks at me. "Who are you texting?"

"No one sweetheart, but I'm going to go upstairs. I'll bring some food and water down here for you," she says before standing up and leaving. Once the door is closed I grab the pillow and hug it praying that somehow it turns into Harry. I put a hand to the necklace Harry gave me and start playing with it.

I hear the basement door open and look up to see my mom through the cell bars. She opens the door, but I just stay in my original spot. I put my head in the pillow just hoping this whole thing will go away.

"Can you please eat something?" My mom asks, but I just keep my head in the pillow. I hear her sigh and then feel the bed being weighed down and assume she's sitting on the edge of it. "Please Louis, think about how Harry would feel if he saw you right now." I stay silent, I'm just praying she leaves. I want to be alone. "I know you don't want me here, but once I leave guards are going to be in front of your cell watching you. I don't think you want that either." I look up from the pillow at her face. She looks like she's been crying, which I have too so I can't say much.

"Okay, but I don't want to eat. I'll have some water," I reply and she sighs. She hands me the bottle of water so I sit up and I open it to take a sip.

"I wish you would eat," she says. "But I get why you don't want to." She rubs my back as I put the cap back onto the bottle.

"Do you know what's happening with Harry?" I ask.

"No, don't worry about it," she replies.

"Just leave me alone, please," I say and lay back down with my pillow and my head buried in it. A couple seconds later I hear the cell close. The basement door closes, but a couple seconds later opens again. I assume it's the guards my mom said were going to come down once she left. I just lay there and don't bother to look up as I hear footsteps come closer to the cell. I close my eyes and try to take a nap to avoid this. Eventually I feel myself slip away into slumber.

~

Once I woke up I saw the guard was still there. I have no clue what time it is, and I can't tell which guard it is, but I think I should probably talk to him.

"What time is it?" I ask and the guard turns around from facing the wall to face me instead. I'm sitting up on my bed with the pillow in my lap.

"It's 2 PM sir," he says and I recognize him as Edward, who's my favorite guard.

"Edward, is he okay?" I ask and he sighs.

"He's going to die Louis," he replies and I look down. "But for now I really don't know. I don't think he has any food, but I know Jared brought some water down for him. He has a bed with a blanket, no pillow."

"I can't have him die," I say and Edward looks at me sympathetically.

"Sometimes we just have to accept things and-"

"No, he's everything I have. My life is nothing without him. I'm sorry but I can't go back to how it used to be. I love him so much. Please Edward, just understand," I say crying just hoping he understands.

"I know Louis," he replies. "Go back to bed, once you're out of here I can assure you the king will never let you be alone so you won't get much sleep." I don't reply to him, just lay down and hope that sleep can take over me again.

I think about everything Harry has done for me. From the cuddles to the love I felt. A connection I've never felt before and I know I will never feel again, but he's going to be dead. Something in me tells me that Harry's going to live and once I leave this cell he's going to be in my room again, but I know that won't happen. I remember how the last thing he said to me was 'I love you Lou.' We could've gotten away, but I just sat there and pulled my arm back. It's my fault Harry is locked up in that cell and awaiting his death. Harry would've been way better off without me. I wonder if he never broke up with Eli, or if we never made up in January. I wish I wouldn't have forgiven him for his addiction, not for my sake but for his. I wonder if I kicked him out every time he tried coming back. What if I said no when he asked to date me. I could've prevented this outcome that was going to happen sooner or later. Anne was right. I'm not good for Harry, but that doesn't even matter anymore.

He's the only person I'll ever love again.