FIVE ➵ BEING HIS BEST FRIEND

"I can't cheer up —
I don't want to cheer up."
— LUCY MAUD MONTGOMERY,
"ANNE OF GREEN GABLES"

° °

At lunch, Rory told Avonlea she was going to circle back to some of their morning classes to get more acquainted with their teachers and the material, and for her not to wait up for her.

So, she ended up on a bench in the quad with Tristin.

"What's the story with Mary, anyways? You didn't even mention it when I called on Friday," he asked her.

"Thinking of your call on Friday..." she smacked his shoulder softly. "You totally got me in trouble! Fridays are now dinner with all of the Gilmores, Rory and her mom will be joining us from now on. And as for the story there? It just kinda got sprung on me on Thursday."

"Why now? Why all of a sudden?" Tristin asked, putting an arm on the back of the bench seat.

Avonlea just made a face while she shrugged. "She is the real granddaughter, so I guess it's just what it is."

"Real granddaughter?" Tristin repeated her statement as if what she had said was ridiculous to him. "Don't tell me you feel threatened by Mary, you're the only they helped raise."

"She's their granddaughter."

"So are you."

"Yeah, until I mess up, and everyone makes me feel like I'm not. I'm not their granddaughter, I'm not a Gilmore, I'm just supposed to be thankful I get to pretend I am," she said, shaking her head as she spoke.

Tristin frowned. "Only your mom thinks that way," he pointed out.

"No, all of them do."

Tristin wasn't too sure who convinced her of that, but all of the stories he had ever heard about them from Avonlea always led to one thing: this impossible standard she was trying to live up to was imposed on her by Rachel Basilio.

° °

Avonlea had gone to the bathroom before their last class of the day, leaving Rory at her locker before they had to head to Mrs. Ness' history class. Avonlea didn't actually need to use the bathroom, but more she needed a breather. 

She could normally go through a day of school without feeling too tired, but there was something a bit emotionally draining about having to let Rory shadow her—not that Rory herself was draining, just the experience overall.

She managed to take two steps out of the bathroom before her upper arm was grabbed and she was pulled to the side. She rolled her eyes when her back touched a locker and her best friend leant his shoulder against the one next to it.

In his hands was a to-go cup of coffee, which he extended out to her.

"Where did you even?" she questioned, turning so that her shoulder was also leaning against the locker, facing Tristin. 

"Told a teacher I was having a bad day of jet lag from having to travel to see my sick grandfather, so they let me into the teacher's lounge to make a cup," he shrugged. "A lie isn't too a full lie when it's really my best friend having a bad day, right? You are having a bad day, aren't you? Then it's just a complete lie."

"This would be cuter if you didn't lie to teachers on a regular basis, Tris," she said, taking it and taking a long sip, cursing herself because it was hot. It was creamy and on the sweet side, just the way she liked it.