Chapter 1 - Why We're Here

PART 1 - THE SUBTLETIES OF NOBILITY

Why birds? Why did they have to experiment with birds? A projected talon flew past Yoric's cheek, the sound of it tearing through the wind coming right after. They couldn't have experimented with turtles or something docile, no. Those ancient mages had to try to combine humans and birds. From atop his horse he looked up. The harpy kept its distance and then some as it flew toward the tree line. If the beast had been smart it would've flown away from the path on which Yoric and Abraham rode their horses. But no. The beast seemed to be an an idiot, which made this all the more frustrating.

They could've just put the beast down with a spell or an arrow, but it had snatched up a child. A young girl. Her shrill screams overlapped with those of the beast.

They might have been able to hit the beast and not the girl, but the chance wasn't worth taking. Huntsmen protected those who couldn't protect themselves. It wouldn't matter if they took the beast down if the girl fell with it.

Trees came and went as Yoric pushed Warden to keep up as well as the gray gelding could. Warden's sweat covered his coat and his breath was heavy. The chase had gone long. Too long. He couldn't do anything for the girl if he couldn't keep up.

"Yoric!" Abe yelled as he and his mount pulled up beside Saver. "Tensha can't keep up this pace much longer! We're going to lose her!"

Yoric looked up again. The harpy was gaining speed.

I'm gonna hate this. I'm gonna hate this. Arlox, please latch on to the beast.

The screech of his giant owl could be heard overhead as the bird kicked it into the next gear. His long wingspan created a shadow over the boys as he flew past them and toward the harpy.

He reached within. This type of Kova required so much effort compared to its basic form. This plan was awful. It was awful! But it was the only plan. It had to be done. It would be done.

Arlox drew Spirit from Yoric in order to increase his speed. Yoric felt his strength draining as though he were in the midst of an arduous run. His breathing intensified, sweat beading down his forehead. The bird flew closer and closer to the harpy, the gap between them seemingly disappearing. Timing would be everything. Mistime and he would fall short. Mistime and the girl would die. At this point he had one chance. Yoric unsheathed his Sosin knife. The hammer would not suit his needs.

Arlox dug his talons into the harpy's back.

The world shifted and blinked around Yoric. The distance between himself and the ground increased in an instant. The treetops of the woods were now eye level. His left hand and both legs were latched onto the harpy. Yoric was now where Arlox had been. His right hand swung.

The harpy screeched, dropping the girl and using its talons to deflect the long knife. Yoric immediately let go, unlatching one of his throwing knives and throwing it straight to the ground. The sound of rushing air filled his ears as he began to fall toward the girl.

Arlox, please latch on to the girl lightly.

The bird had been flying in the same direction that Yoric and Warden had been riding. The bird swooped up, black wingspan displayed in its full glory, and flew straight to the girl. Timing, again, would be everything.

Sunlight reflected off of a sharp object from above. They were coming closer.

Talons.

These had been released from the fingers of the Harpy and now flew toward Yoric as straight as an arrow. Dodging was not an option. They would hit him before Arlox could get to the girl. Deflection was the only possible manner of avoidance. He'd have to do it upside down. Maintaining his current momentum was the only way this plan was sure to work.