Free Chapter

Author's note: This is only a free chapter, not the entire book. If you're interested in reading the whole book, the link is provided below.

•    •    •    •

CHAPTER 1

A Night to Remember

Kami emerged from her bedroom in wings, a halo, and the skimpiest white dress she could find. The bodice crossed over her breasts in pleated folds. The skirt barely covered her panties, leaving her garters exposed.

Zoe whistled with approval. "You are one sexy angel, chick," she complimented.

"Yeah?" Kami asked, watching Zoe's headdress bob as she nodded. "Well, you're one sexy, uh... sphinx?"

Truth? She had no idea what in the hell her best friend was supposed to be.

Rolling her eyes, Zoe sidled up beside her, smartphone in hand. "I'm Ahsoka Tano from the Clone Wars."

"Right. I knew that."

"No, you didn't," Zoe snickered. "Now, say 'trick or treat, bitches!'"

After a few dozen selfies, which Zoe immediately posted to every social media app available, they finally left their apartment to join the party crowd.

New York never skimped on holidays, so it was no surprise Zapa's was already pushing legal capacity when Geoff ushered them inside ahead of 200 people waiting in line.

"Hey, we've been waiting for an hour!" One of the guys shouted. "They only letting hookers in now?"

"Why don't you suck a dick and find out?" Zoe returned sweetly with a middle finger.

Kami's best friend was a pint-sized badass. Four-foot-nine and 85 pounds soaking wet. She ruled over the world of social media and could tear people to shreds in 140 characters or less. There was no one in the world more ruthlessly minded or packing a bigger set of steel ones.

The noise inside the club was like a physical assault. Shouted conversations made eardrums ring while neon lights spiraled over the masses. Thumping bass plied at Kami's flesh. Sweat, alcohol, and a plethora of cheap perfumes filled her nose, clinging to the back of her throat. The body heat of the crowd was inescapable. When it took them 20 minutes to make it to the bar, she started rethinking her costume. Then, she noticed that people gave them a wider berth once they stood still and smiled.

Much love for the wings.

Their favorite bartender, Darby, spotted them and headed in their direction while more staff hustled to fill orders. He flashed a grin, revealing fangs to go with his horns, red face paint, and pointed goatee.

"An angel? This is kismet, you know?" he said with his tempting Irish lilt, wagging his brows suggestively at Kami.

"No, this is BS, Darby," Zoe snapped. "You're supposed to dress up for Halloween."

Kami chuckled. "She's got you there."

"Flattery," he preened. "You want the usual, luvs?"

"Make it double everything," Zoe answered. "Who knows when we'll get service again."

He turned to fill their order just when that one moron out of 1,000 decided to target Kami.

"Hey, baby, where's your man?"

Turning, she glared at the zombie groping her ass like he had a second death wish and flashed a sickly sweet smile. "In the trunk, where I keep all of the bodies. I definitely have room for one more."