Chapter 14

Bucky and Chelsea arrived outside, he saw his bike sitting outside and grinned at her.

"So I see I'm rubbing off on you, babygirl?" He kissed her temple and they approached the bike. Then he noticed it, no helmet. 4 o'clock in the morning and she wasn't wearing a helmet.

She could always tell why he looked upset, she turned to him and reached up to his face, but he pulled away.

"Buck, I was so scared when I realized Sam didn't go on the mission, I didn't think, I just ran. I had to find you. You had to be okay" she reached for him again but this time he didn't move, she cupped the sides of his face and stared up at him. "I'm sorry" she said in a whisper.

Bucky leaned his head down, resting his forehead on hers for a moment before climbing on the bike and scooting back from the front of the bike.

"I'm driving, but you're sitting in the front" he said sternly, she didn't dare question him. She climbed on in front of him and grabbed onto his arms as he reached for the handles.

"I'll keep you safe, doll" he breathed in her ear.

"I know" she breathed back, in the last 7 months they've been together he's protected her from everything. She's not even sure she's stubbed her toe when he was around. She laid her head back on his shoulder, he kissed her cheek and started the bike. He was careful but still fast. Not nearly as fast as she was finding him, she'd never admit that to him though.

When they arrived home she was so tired she almost fell off the bike. He scooped her up in his arms and carried her inside and up to their bedroom. He was careful to lay her on the couch and began undressing her. He had to make sure she was okay. When he removed her shirt he saw a deep purple bruise in  the middle of her chest. The shape of a boot. He lifted her back into his arms and rushed our the door again.

He sped to the hospital in her car, her sound asleep in the passenger seat, when they arrived they took her immediately at the sight of the bruise.

Bucky called Sam while he waited for answers about his love.

"What is with you 2 and waking me up?" Sam said when he answered the phone.

"She's hurt" was all Bucky could muster before hanging up. He called Clint as well, Clint assured him she would be fine but that he was on the way. Peter was the last call, he answered immediately.

"Mr. Barnes, are you guys okay? I'm at your house but it's empty.."

"She's hurt" was again all he could say, Peter interrupted him. "I'm on my way Mr. Barnes" and hung up the phone.

Within the hour Sam, Clint and Peter were at Bucky's side in the waiting room. A nurse came out and insisted Clint was the one that had to go in the room, family only. Bucky wished he would've lied and said she was his wife.

When Clint came in the room Chelsea was already up, getting dressed.

"What the hell happened to you?" He said as he barged through the door.

Chelsea didn't expect to hear Clint's voice, she was hoping for Bucky. She had been silently building up the courage to talk to him but when she saw Clint it all fell apart and she cried, he rushed over and swept her up. She cried on his shoulder until she had nothing left to cry and picked her head up to look at him. She tried to say something but couldn't.

Within the next 30 minutes she was walking out with Clint on one side and a nurse on the other. Bucky ran to her, he held her face in his hands. He was so scared he was going to lose her.

"I'm okay, Buck. We're okay, I promise" she said softly. Without hesitation he lifted her bridal style and carried her out the door to her car. The drive home was silent, she kept dozing off the whole way home, he was just overwhelmed with gratitude that she was okay. He was surprised John hadn't broken her sternum, the bruise looked bad enough to justify it.

When they pulled in the driveway she opened her door to get out but Bucky rushed by her side to carry her. He carried her up to their bedroom and laid her on the bed.

"I'm so glad you're okay my love. I couldn't have lost you" he said as he buried his head in the side of her neck.

"Buck, we have to talk about something, you're going to be mad but I have to tell you."

Bucky climbed in the bed with her and took her hands, nodding. He was nervous but he trusted her. She was his life.

She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. "The doctors told me that apparently I'm pregnant. It's okay if you don't want to participate, I will understand" she looked at the floor. She was ready for an explosion, he was very punctual with making sure she has her shot on time. She can't even remember if she skipped a dose.

She kept waiting for him to yell but he didn't, she finally looked up to see his shocked expression staring off into nothingness. But he hadn't let go of her hands yet.

"I'm sorry" she said quietly.

Bucky got up and walked into the large closet. All of Chelsea's worst fears were coming true, she couldn't ask him to let her stay but she hoped he would.

When Bucky came back he wasted no time getting down on one knee in front of the bed.

"Chelsea Amber Barton, will you marry me?" He blurted out. "Please let me make you a Barnes before our baby is here" that came out softer, almost pleading.

He didn't want her to leave? He wasn't even mad. He had a ring in hand, a beautiful ring. It had a large oval diamond in the middle and the sides almost looked like vines, the sides has beautiful green gems within then. It was the most beautiful ring she's ever seen, it looked like nature, he knew her too well.

Chelsea climbed off the bed and dropped to her knees in front of him, she had started to cry and wrapped her arms around his torso. He held her back and rested his chin on the top of her head.

"Love, what do you say?" He said, she realized she hadn't answered yet.

"Of course I will, yes James" she said, her face still buried in his chest. He grabbed her arms and pulled her back to see her face. She was crying by smiling. He slipped the ring on her finger and wrapped her in his strong grasp again, this time kissing her though.

Bucky stood up with her in his arms and sat her on the edge of the bed, he was suddenly too aware of his strength. What if he hurt her? She was already injured but now she was fragile too. What if he hurt their baby? He started to quietly panic. Chelsea felt the shift in his mood and pulled back from him. She grabbed his face with both hands and made him look at her.

"You won't hurt us, James. You are softer than you realize" she said with a soft chuckle. She didn't let go of his face until she watched his features soften.

He reached down and put both hands on her stomach, still staring at her "I love you both" he said before kissing her.