𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

While Park Jin stared at Gaeun wearily, Heo Yeom was openly fuming. His nostrils flared and he turned red as he bellowed about how Gaeun had deceived all of Daeho for years by never revealing her magic.

"The nerve of you, girl!" He screeched, jabbing a finger in her direction as he stood beside Lord Park behind his table, "To lie to us and say that you have water magic—"

"Do forgive me, Master Heo," Gaeun was in no state to meekly lower her head and listen to the man's dulcet tone, "but you and many others merely assumed that I had an affinity towards water."

"'Enough magic to keep plants alive'!" He quoted her from a few weeks ago, "That was your fib to us. For years we let you prance around the four heirs of Daeho even when you were a simple tradesman's daughter—"

"—I'm not a—"

"—And," Heo Yeom spoke louder, making Lord Park close his eyes in exasperation, "you persuaded Jang Wook, the boy who broke off engagements like fragile little clay dolls, to marry you—"

"—I didn't need to persuade—"

"Again with the lies!"

Already short on patience, Gaeun couldn't help but clench her fist and let her rage loose in the form of a strong heat wave. The lamps around them exploded. The plants scattered in the office wilted. The men's hair turned frizzy and the skin on Master Heo's cheeks began to peel from the intensity of the heat.

However, the repercussions were instant. Gaeun grabbed the back of the chair to steady herself, trying not to wince when sweat dripped uncomfortably down her spine. Her continuous use of magic in Jooyong's absence had begun to take a toll on her body. Her own helplessness infuriated her. Steeling her eyes, she hissed, "I'd watch my words if I were you, Master Heo."

"How dare you threaten me!"

"Enough!" Lord Park slammed his fist on his work table and attempted to fix his hair in displeasure. Reluctantly and unhappily, Master Heo waited for the Songrim leader to address the issue. "Gaeun-ah." He shrunk at the sour expression on her face but managed to maintain his authority. "Lady Gaeun, is it true that you wield magic?"

She met his steady gaze, "It is."

"Then you must understand that we must take necessary precautions against undocumented and untrained mages."

"I am well aware how Songrim deals with untrained mages," Gaeun replied with an edge in her tone, "The example is currently imprisoned in your secret room." She secretly delighted in the way the man winced as she continued, "I, however, am not untrained."

"Who—"

"Nor am I a mage."

Master Heo immediately cut in. "What are you then?" He demanded, "A witch? An illusionist? An enchantress? I always knew something was off about you, girl. You have had that air of strangeness around you ever since you were a child."

Before she could be questioned further, Sangho entered the office. He paused at the unsightly state Lord Park and Master Heo were in and sent Gaeun a curious glance before saying, "My Lord, there is a visitor. Lord Wang of Yeol is here to enroll his younger brother in Songrim. Is..." his eyes darted between the older men and Gaeun, "Is everything alright?"

Lord Park ignored his concern, "Send them in."

"That is my cue to leave," Gaeun stated, turning around without waiting to be dismissed. Unfortunately, she was half a second too late.