Chapter Four - Mornings

When I woke up, I was surprised to be in my room. I was gently tucked in and I smiled softly. Aunt Joyce must've done that.

I don't get cared for that often. It's a nice feeling.

The memories of last night came flowing back to me, and I just shoved them away. Nothing happened last night.

I untucked myself, struggling for a few minutes before getting out of bed, the smell of something cooking invading my nose as I poked my head out of the door.

I could hear humming and the smell grew stronger. I peeked out further before going down the hall, arriving into the kitchen.

I was expecting Aunt Joyce to be the one cooking breakfast, because it seemed like something she'd do, but to my surprise it wasn't.

Jonathan flipped over a pancake as he continued a humming song I didn't recognize. The humming got louder as he began to dance slightly.

I cracked a smile as he started fully dancing.

I could tell he was really into the dance as he slides the pancakes onto some plates. I put a hand over my mouth so he doesn't hear my laughter.

He turns around, plates in his hands and his face goes bright red as he sees me. "U-uh... how long have you been here..."

"Long enough to see the entire choreography of whatever song that is."

His face somehow gets darker red as he grumbles to himself, before he continues setting up breakfast for everyone.

Will walks out of his room, rubbing sleep out of his eyes and I see Jane trailing behind him.

"Mornin'." Jonathan says to all of us before working on Joyce's breakfast.

I hear Will mumble a greeting back before slumping into his chair. Not a morning person, clearly.

Jane doesn't say anything, but nods a thanks to Jonathan when she catches his eye. I follow their lead and sit down, beginning to eat small bites of the breakfast my cousin provided.

Jonathan starts making coffee for Aunt Joyce as I hear her door open.

It's mostly silence, besides the sound of chewing and forks on plates. Joyce walks into the kitchen and places kisses on Jane and Will's heads before making Jonathan lean down so she can do him too.

"Morning, all. Ready for your first day of school, Finn?" I just groan in response. I had forgotten about school. She chuckles.

"I'm taking that as a no."

With Joyce out of her room and everyone fully waking up, there's less silence and more talking. But when there is silence, it's comforting.

I let myself indulge in the feeling. It's really nice. I feel a part of a family, and not just like an outcast when I'm with dad.

Unfortunately this feeling wouldn't last.

A/N
It's a Christmas miracle! I finally posted this chapter that's been rotting in my docs all by itself.

466 words.