~12. My sweet girl.~

*Cate's POV*

Following up behind her, I got ready to add a detail she did not get quite right. May it be on accident or purpose. No matter what it was that drove her, it got me invested. And I began to have an unwell feeling about it. This meant no good news.

Door closed behind my back, Emery was nowhere to be seen. Nevertheless a few noises, such as the running tap water and light footsteps shuffling across the tiled bathroom floor, caught my attention.

Gently pushing against the door, my eyes caught her standing in front of the mirror. Toothbrush in mouth and gaze on her own reflection. I leaned against the doorframe, waiting mischievously for Emery to take note of my presence. Yet, that didn't seem happen hence she was staring forward, barely moving the toothbrush across her teeth.

My lips parted. "You were the one to kiss me." The second I had voiced the first word she had jumped in fright.

Hand flung to the woman's chest, she glared at me with a puzzled and frightened, yet somewhat amused expression. There I recalled the jump scares her brother had given her. Just... I did not mean to do it, which did certainly not mean I was not enjoying myself.

After spitting the white foam into the sink and cleaning her lips form the rest of it, Emery faced me again.

"After you've been sneaking some innocent ones here and there, I gathered it was not much of a big deal." The woman awaited a reply for a few moments and when I simply glared at her, she averted her face and continued her routine. Hairbrush combining through knots.

Sometime mid-action I had left her alone. The situation was getting over my head and the raging headache was no help to the train of thoughts arriving in my brain. How could Emery take this so lightly? She had a fiancé! How could I allow myself to do this? I kissed her. I let her kiss me. And it might not be the last time considering it had to look real to the rest of her relatives. Or didn't it?

Marc mentioned something about her smile. She hadn't appeared as happy as he had seen Emery today for ages. I cannot possibly imagine how heart wrenching it has to be to loose a child. The pain, the endless grief and sorrow... So, what I can do is to give this family a weekend of something joyful. An engagement. A fake one, but who cares?

I cared. I cared about Emery. There were so many questions left unanswered. Mysteries about her behavior and past, I wanted to solve. I wanted to know it all. Every detail about the woman was interesting to me and slowly and I mean slowly I had an idea as to why.

Swallowing heavily, my brows knitted and I dared to walk around in circles. Though my oldest was my rescuer in need. When her gentle face came onto the screen of my phone, my own lightened up.

"Hi baby" I grinned and caught a faint eye roll from my daughter. "Do you need mommy to sing you to sleep?" I teased.

"You would only embarrass yourself mom." Tessa laughed whilst moving her phone oddly.

"I resent your poor judgment baby. Because I—" Interrupted by myself turning onto my stomach on top of the bed, I continued shortly after. "am an extraordinary lullaby singer. You always fell asleep so fast in my arm, when you were little."

The recall of Tessa as a newborn, fitting her whole body onto one of my arms, played in my head. Her little smile...

"Or maybe it was because I pretended, to make you stop?" Tessa giggled, as she caught my reaction. "I must have gotten my intelligence from you, mommy."

"Smart girl." I grinned. "Why did you call? You didn't mean to tease your old mother."

"No, I did not." With a slightly aching ego, hence she didn't correct me, I awaited her to tell me more. "Grace wanted to say good night.."