Peace (Cedric Diggory)

Summary - based on "peace" by Taylor Swift. Or where Cedric Diggory and his girlfriend live through the second wizarding war while attempting to maintain as much peace as possible.

Warnings - Mentions of the cruciatus curse. Depression and maybe other mental health problems. Not proofread.

Word count - 6,602

Reading time - 24 mins

***

Our coming-of-age has come and gone

Suddenly the summer, it's clear

When Cedric Diggory met Y/n L/n all those years ago on their first trip on the Hogwarts express he could never have guessed how important the young Slytherin would become to him. They had instantaneously become best friends and remained as such until the start of their 6th year.

When she had heard he was planning on entering the Triwizard Tournament she was so upset with him that she didn't talk to him for three entire weeks. It had taken him locking her in her empty dorm room in the dungeons and not letting her out until he explained himself for her to even begin to come round to the idea.

"It's dangerous Cedric, I don't like it one bit," she told him with her arms crossed over her chest "I have a bad feeling about it, what if you get hurt"

"I won't get hurt Y/n, they said it's safer this time" he attempted to reassure her but she didn't believe him "just trust me, love," the pet name was all it took for her to crumble and accept that he was going to put his name in the cup whether she wanted him to or not.

"Fine, but I still don't like this Ced" she mumbled and he just grinned, having got what he wanted. He knew he wouldn't be able to go through with it had she not approved, he valued her opinion too much.

The night his name was pulled from the cup he kissed her for the first time, sneaking her into his dorm after the celebration party. And that night she became his, and vice versa.

Her bad feeling about the tournament had been correct. Her beloved boyfriend was subjected to the crucitus curse for almost an hour while 14-year-old Harry Potter watched. He came back little but a shell of himself and was only just able to recover in st mungos, but he wasn't the same even years later. That was no surprise, something changes in a person when you are almost tortured into insanity.

But that was almost two years ago now. After their 7th year, which Cedric was luckily able to attend the second half of after around 6 months in the hospital, they moved into a homely cottage in Devon, not far from his parents who he wanted to stay close to. The peaceful atmosphere that the countryside provided them with worked as a welcome distraction from the war raging on in their country and community.

It was a warm Saturday afternoon in the midst of summer and y/n had decided to make the pair a small lunch to enjoy in the garden. It was nothing more than sandwiches and crisps, but Cedric appreciated everything she ever did for him. She brought the food out to the garden and he smiled up at her as she placed it down on their garden table. He had a cigarette resting between his lips, a nasty habit he had picked up after he left the hospital.

"Thank you darling, it looks lovely," he told her gratefully and she gave him a kind smile, appreciating the compliment. He watched her as she sat down in the chair opposite his, her summer dress the perfect purple.

He stubbed out his cigarette on the ashtray in the centre of the table and grabbed one of the sandwiches from the plate she had brought out.

"It's getting pretty bad at the ministry, you can tell something is going on. No one trusts anyone, not even people they've been friends with their whole life" he told her after swallowing the final bite of his sandwich. She looked up from the book she was reading with furrowed brows, a frow evident on every part of her face.