18. First snow - Ryeji (1/3)

Part 1: before the aftermath

It was a snowy day. Everyone's busy celebrating the holiday. The lights and decorations hanging give the spirit of Christmas but for Ryujin it was just all the same. She has just arrived to work, wearing her lab gown, makes eye contact with her two, co-residents, Lia and Chaeryeong.

"Here she comes," Lia says while handing her palm to Chaeryeong. Chaeryeong then gives her three bucks in disappointment.

"What was that for?" Ryujin asks in confusion.

"We were betting whether you'll be on duty on Christmas Eve again this year," Chaeryeong explains.

"I told you, she always comes to work even on holidays. I heard that she was also on duty during Chuseok day. Ryujin's just predictable." Lia adds.

"I'm sorry if I'm predictable, it's just that I love to work," Ryujin replies.

Lia and Chaeryeong shake their head and says, "What a lie."

"Incoming patients from a traffic accident," the nurse says as the paramedics approach the emergency room.

"What happened?" Ryujin asks.

"Two cars hit each other in an intersection due to slippery road," the paramedic explains.

"Patient is TA, unconscious, his chest bumped into the steering wheel," he adds.

"Check his vital signs, and prepare to intubate," Ryujin orders Chaeryeong.

"Copy."

Another patient comes in. "She's conscious but her head is bleeding due to the impact. She might need a CT scan and MRI," the paramedic explains.

Ryujin looks at the patient who is in pain. Despite the blood and bruises, her facial features remain dominant - sharp eyes, pointy nose, and slim lips.

"We'll take it from here," Ryujin replies. Lia is standing beside her to assist.

"I need my camera and laptop. I left it in the taxi," the patient says in anguish.

"Please calm down, ma'am," Ryujin says.

"No, I need my camera first," the patient insists.

"I need my camera, everything that's in there is very important to me," she further explains almost raising her voice.

"Calm down, ma'am. We need you to get treated first."

"You are not listening to me!"

Ryujin is already pissed off, she just got to work and this patient is being stubborn.