chapter 1

Beginning of summer break
Wednesday's point of view

Merely minutes after getting those stalker pictures I got a text from another unknown number. However, the person didn't stay anonymous much longer.

2:37 PM
E: Howdy, roomie!!
E: So u finlly have a phone! I would've gotten u one earlier if I knew for sure that u wouldn't skin me alive
E: Or mayb Xavier's just that lucky
E: For now
E: It's Enid btw
E: Tell you're family I said hi

A very predictable way of texting, yet disappointing. Especially grammar wise.

Isn't autocorrect a thing?

I totally forgot about my stalker for a moment and texted back.

W: well i'm still in the car. how did you get my number so fast anyway?

E: I know u still are, u silly
E: Xavier and I r on the same train, he gave me ur number
E: Which makes me question...
E: Why aren't u going home by train? 🤨

W: well, for some reason my parents sent lurch to drive me home.
W: it isn't that far away.
W: and don't use those emoji things.
W: please.

Speaking of the devil, while I was mid sentence Lurch groaned for no reason. Enid didn't text back for about four minutes and I just thought of putting my phone away when she sent another message.

E: Any plans during the break?

I had to think for a second because I honestly didn't know. It's not like I had the time to check the messages my parents left me on my crystal ball.

W: i don't think so.
W: what about you?

E: Since my parents aren't sending me to a conversion camp, no

W: wait.
W: what?

E: Didn't I tell you?

W: no.

E: Well, it was a busy weekend so 🤷‍♀️
E: My mom basically handed me these brochures and ...

For another full hour we kept texting back and forth until she had to go because her train arrived at the airport. My phone was almost out of battery so I put it back in my bag, accidentally waking up Thing that was having a nap in it during the process. I watched him as he stretched and climbed his way up to my shoulder. He lay there for a minute but got bored really quickly so he got off of my shoulder and took his spot next to me on the seat. I saw him starting to gesticulate from the corner of my eye. To get my full attention he snapped twice.
"What?", I asked, quite annoyed.
...
"I have no idea when we'll arrive, Thing. How would I know?"
I sounded a bit harsh, but couldn't care less.
"Ask Lurch", I said in a neutral tone. He managed to get to the front of the car and stayed there for the rest of the drive. I sighed and leaned my head against the window. As much as I hated to admit it, I was exhausted. A good nap would be welcome but I just couldn't sleep.
So I did what I could best. Overthink. Who could my stalker be? Were they really dangerous?

It's probably a prank. Don't think too much of it.

But what if it wasn't? I didn't take the Hyde too seriously and I had mad luck that no one died. Eugene almost died. And so did Enid, even though she said otherwise.

"I had him under control, I swear."

You sure did, furball.

I couldn't have forgiven myself if someone actually had died. Except for Yoko. Nothing too personal it's just that, for some reason, I could not and still can't stand her.
She was all over Enid after the Crackstone disaster. I tried to be nice because Enid asked me to but wasn't able to actually do it. Those last few days Yoko had been everywhere, in our dorm at our table she even managed to change her schedule a bit to have more classes in common with Enid.
Someone clearly had a crush. Not that I would care. It was just that by trying to be THAT close to Enid she was invading my own personal space. However, I have to admit that it was kind of sad to watch, since Enid ditched her three times out of four to go out with Ajax. Which I didn't approve of because she always came back late. I'm not saying he was a bad influence, but he surely wasn't a good one. I'm pretty sure he vapes and lately Enid's side had way more of an artificial strawberry smell than it did before. As a friend, he was good, but as a boyfriend I don't know. Let's just say Enid's mood was changing. Her ups were very high and her downs very low. And she wasn't like that before.

"It's the hormones, with the whole wolfing out thing. You wouldn't know."

We almost argued once about that specific topic.
So no, I didn't like Ajax. Again, nothing personal.
I just didn't want Enid to get hurt and lose her spark.

• FIRST POSTED: 12/26/2022
• EDITED (1st time): 07/26/2023

this love is good, this love is bad [wenclair]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara