Chapter 11

The next morning, Y/n begrudgingly met the others outside the tavern. Téa, Véa, and Borch were there, and it seemed as though everyone else had already left to wait by the edge of the forest where they would start off to the mountains. Geralt came out soon after her, and finally, as usual, Jaskier was the last to exit the tavern. His lute was slung over his back and his notes and coal pencil were tucked into his lute case. He took a look towards the siren, who's hair was out from under her hood, and smiled. She gave a mere lift of her lip back before dropping it, looking away from the beaming bard.

When he went to make towards Roach and Windchaser, who were tied up by the stables, Borch stopped him and said, "No. No horses. The mountain pass is far too steep and narrow. We go on foot from here."

Although disappointed, Y/n and Geralt nodded their understanding, but still brought along Roach to help carry some of their belongings. Jaskier, on the other hand, gaped for a moment, before trudging away from the two mares and following the others towards the woods. When they found the rest of the groups making their preparations for the journey, Jaskier turned to his two companions and grumbled, "Your man might've mentioned that the road was too narrow for horses in his initial sales pitch."

"Welcome to the real world, Jaskier," Geralt merely stated back, and the bard let out a sigh at his lack of care. Y/n could feel the stares at her, all glaring at her and her golden hair. She resisted the urge to pull her hood up over her head. She had decided the night before that it was better everyone knew what she was beforehand than find out later and accuse her of trying to sabotage the quest. It didn't help her insecurities about it, however. But she kept her head high, paying no heed to their stares.

"Damn it to Korath!" the red bearded dwarf from the night before exclaimed, drawing Jaskier and Y/n's attention as Geralt continued on. She noticed he had a heavy accent, his words like the iron of his weapons.

"What's got your goat?" Jaskier questioned down to the little man.

"Someone's stolen my pack! Probably those fuckin' Reavers!!" the dwarf shouted past the two of them at the reaver group behind. Y/n went to move on, Jaskier trailing after her as the dwarves followed them too. "Aye, well... three day's journey and only one route to the top. Leaves plenty of time for me to piss in his gruel!!" The dwarf shouted back to the Reavers, letting out a hearty cackle at the idea as the men with the tattooed chins glared hatefully at him. The dwarf stopped, noticing that Geralt was looking on at him. He held out his hand and shook the witcher's, saying, "Name's Yarpen Zigrin."

"Geralt of Rivia," Geralt said as they clasped hands. He gestured slightly to Y/n and said, "This is my companion, Y/n of Vizima."

Yarpen looked her over carefully, obviously taking note of her hair. "Well, siren, I suppose I should be grateful ya haven't cursed me yet. Hate to have ta put my ax through your lovely face."

Y/n merely smirked down at him, noticing the slight humor in his tone, and replied, "And I should be grateful you and your men haven't killed me already. Or, tried, at least. You wouldn't be the first."

Yarpen observed her carefully, before breaking out into a smile and laughing as he said, "I knew I'd like ya, lass. Blood be damned, here!" They clasped their forearms together, and Y/n couldn't help the grin that dotted her lips.

"And my name is Julian Alfred Pankratz-"

Jaskier had tried to reach forward and shake the dwarf's hand, but he stopped the bard, not even glancing his way, and saying, "Aye. I know." Jaskier pulled his hand back sheepishly, to which Y/n couldn't help but chuckle a little bit at, before following Geralt to Roach's side as Yarpin said, "You'll fetch a goodly amount for that mare if ya sell now!!"