chapter eleven.

【 CHAPTER ELEVEN 】

THERE was a roaring in her ears, her glassy gaze focused on the ground in front of her

THERE was a roaring in her ears, her glassy gaze focused on the ground in front of her. She'd been frozen quite some time now, caught somewhere between a raging storm of grief and fury. The peace Ruth and Tsu'tey had been able to hold with one another through the previous night vanished by morning as if having never happened, bringing them to where they were now. Something akin to guilt made her chest hollow for her inherent relation to the humans, for she was one outside of this body, outside of the life she lived with the Omaticaya. As someone living with a foot planted in two different worlds, Ruth was trying her best to remain calm despite knowing the storm that was ahead. And all of the destruction that would follow it.

In a blissful sequence of events, she and Tsu'tey had spent most of the night on the soft grass of the river bank, talking about their hopes and dreams and memories until eventually drifting to sleep whilst nestled against each other. During their long, in depth talk, she'd learned much of him as he learned of her, telling of earth in the most simple way possible for a Na'vi to understand what kind of world she'd come from. She told him everything she could while stifling her desires despite the almost romantic setting they had been in with the glowing forest around them and the song of the night's hum. In realty, it had been picturesque. Something she'd been longing for since the early weeks of her training when she'd begun to realize she no longer viewed Tsu'tey as an acquaintance, but something more.

Ruth had been hesitant to return to Hometree early in the morning after having slept in Tsu'tey's embrace for a few hours in the quiet night. Waking to early light of dawn gently pulling her from her to wakefulness after managing to rack a few hours of sleep in her human body, she'd almost considered staying right where she was if not for Tsu'tey stirring as well. For a short time, she had been able to pretend nothing was wrong in her life while they'd sat near that river bank. That there was not so many things she needed to find solutions to.

How badly she now wished she were back to the night before. Before everything went to hell.

The disastrous news of RDA's insensitive destruction of the Tree of Voices with their incredibly large bulldozers threw the clan into a rage, none other than Tsu'tey to bear the news to the Olo'eyktan when he arrived from an early hunt with a few others in the late morning. Ruth had sat among a few others to take a sewing lesson, reminiscing on the night before and the peace it had given her when the news was announced to all. Quickly her mind had been filled with all the possibilities this attack presented.

Now, she watched as the clan rallied together under the totem of Toruk, every warrior preening to launch an attack against the humans in retaliation for their selfishly evil act. Ruth hadn't said a word on the matter, her ears remaining pinned back and an expression of grief stuck on her face as she contemplated any way she might try to diffuse this complicated situation that seemingly had no solution, temporary or permanent. The clan had every right to be angered, to be filled with furious grief. As well was the attack entirely unprovoked to her knowledge. Ruth regretted that she couldn't have prevented it from happening in the first place if she had had any inclination.