First Kiss (Funpoison)

The cool evening wind tugs at Ghoul's hair as Party's mixtape blasts through the speakers at 100%. The music's volume is only matched by Party's out-of-key singing, and the breeze howling in their ears.

    Usually, at times like these, the others would be in the car with them. But this time, it's just Ghoul, Party, and the steadily setting ball of radiation called the sun. They're all alone together, and everything is just right.

    Ghoul stares at the redheaded killjoy beside him and wishes he could stare at them forever. He just wants to take a picture with his mind and keep it forever, because lord, Party is a sight to see.

    Their features are painted orange by the last glimmers of daylight, flaming red mane flowing behind them in the wind. Their perfectly shaped eyebrows are pressed together dramatically, and their pretty, pink lips are parted in song. They belt along to the generic love song with no shame as if nobody is looking.

    Ghoul loves every inch of Party. He just wishes they would notice it. He's felt that pull towards them since the day they met. He had longed for them in silence, up until now. Now he knows he can't wait any longer. With the world beginning to crumble around them, there might not be another chance.

    As the song finally comes to an end and the last rays of sunlight sink beneath the horizon, Party reaches out to turn down the volume all the way, sighs in contentment, and brings the car to a stop. It's calm now. the whole rebellion, BLI, Korse, all the stress fades away into the back of their minds. Just a passing thought on the back burner. A distant dream.

    Party rolls back the sunroof and gazes skywards, their eyebrows scrunched up in thought. Ghoul follows their line of sight toward the darkening sky, wondering what exactly they're thinking about. He doesn't have to wait very long for an answer, though.

    "Hey Ghoul?"

    "Yeah Pois, what's on your mind?"

    Poison pauses for a moment, trying to find the words to express their complex feelings. Their tongue passes quickly over their chapped lips. "I wish the stars were still around."

    Ghoul sighs heavily and shifts in his seat to get more comfortable. "The stars, huh?"

    "Yeah." their voice is soft and wistful, a stark contrast to the previously energetic and vibrant demeanor they had worn just moments before.

    "Me too. It's shit luck we never got to see 'em." Ghoul looks at his solemn partner-in-crime fondly. "I don't need any stars though. I got my very own flaming ball of helium right here." He gives them a playful punch to the arm.

    Party's eyebrows ease apart from each other, and their features soften in humor. "You're a dick." they grin at the younger man.

    "I know."

    They fall into a comfortable silence, watching the sky grow darker by the second. Ghoul ignores the lump in his throat and pushes past his anxiety to reach for Party's leather-clad hand. Party doesn't hesitate to meet him in the middle, tightly interlacing their fingers with his.

    Ghoul's heart pounds in his chest. His head spins. He knows now is the time, but doesn't want to fuck it up. What if they don't like him back? What if they hate him forever, and kick him out of the group? Oh, Christ, he'll never fess up if he keeps thinking about it.

    "Party?"

    "Mm?"

    Fuck. He has to go through with it now. He knows that's not exactly how it works, but pretending it is will probably be the only way to get himself to say it.

    "Love you."

    He inwardly cringes at his own words as Party turns to stare at him in silence. He worries maybe he should have said more, or that it was too soon. His thoughts race a million miles a minute until the reassuring squeeze of Party's hand grounds him.

     "Love you too, ghoul." they respond quietly. The ghost of a smile tugs at their lips.

    Ghoul swallows thickly. "I meant, I love you."

    Poison unbuckles their seatbelt and awkwardly climbs over to Ghoul's seat. He barely has any time to wonder what they're doing before their lips meet his. The taste of cigarette smoke and bubble gum lingers on their breath. The embrace is warm and tender, sweeter than what Ghoul had imagined.

    After what seems like forever, Party breaks the kiss and wraps their arms around him. Ghoul returns the gesture, wishing he could melt into the other killjoy and stay here forever. He inhales the familiar scent of smoke and hard work on their leather jacket and lets his eyes fall closed.

    "I love you too, Ghoulie."

<3