chapter five

.

“Fred! If you don’t quit staring at that poor girl and play the damn game I’m gonna hit you in the head with your own bat,” Selena yelled at the redhead boy across the quidditch pitch.

“I can’t help it,” he said, landing on the ground next to her. “Look at her Lenny!”

“She is pretty hot,” she smirked.

“Fuck off. I stared at her first.”

Selena rolled her eyes, “Whatever. Either you flirt with her or I’m going to.”

“I’m not going to flirt with her,” Fred exclaimed. “I don’t even know her name.”

Selena rolled her eyes again and shook her head, walking up to the bleachers where the beautiful girl sat reading a book.

“Hey Sparks!”

The brunette snapped her head up, her wide, brown eyes meeting with Selena’s. She smiled amicably, closing her book.

“Hi Selena!”

Selena sat next to the girl and whispered something into her ear, Fred nervously watching the two girls. Ruby’s eyes went wide as she glanced at Fred. Selena nodded her head before standing up and walking down the bleachers.

She raised her eyebrows up towards Fred and nodded towards the girl. She winked at both of them before walking off the pitch.

.

Selena never slept well.

Her dreams were filled with smoke and hospitals instead of the beautiful lands and mystical creatures a lot of her classmates mused about in their sleep.

Sleeping next to someone normally helped ease the horrors of her past that still haunted her when her brain was resting. And that someone was normally Callum.

Unfortunately, he was dead asleep and Selena felt a pang of guilt waking him up from his deep sleep. Instead, she took her blanket, pillow and a pack of cigarettes from her dorm, begrudgingly walked hundreds of stairs and sat on the edge of astronomy towers.

Her head was filled with thoughts.

Thoughts of her mom. Of her dad. Of her sister. Of her best friend. Of her old best friend.

“I don’t understand how people sit out here at night. It’s absolutely freezing,” A voice sounded behind her.

Selena shrugged, not looking behind her. She didn’t need to look behind her to know who’s voice it was.

“Mind sharing the blanket,” Ginny said, wrapping her arms around her, shivering.

Selena took the blanket from off her shoulders and handed it to her.

Ginny laughed behind her. The girl sat next to Selena and threw the blanket over both of their laps.

“Couldn’t sleep?”

Selena shook her head, moving the blanket off of her lap once again and took a drag of her cigarette. She brought one of her legs up to her chest, bouncing her foot up and down.

“You seem stressed, Selena.”

“Just a bit,” Selena mumbled.

“Why?”

“What are you, a therapist?”

Ginny shrugged, “I just care about you.”

Why? Selena wanted to ask. Why do you care for me? I left you.

Selena shook her head.

“I do,” Ginny stated again.

You shouldn’t.

She just shook her head again, bringing her cigarette up to her mouth again.

“Selena, are you ok,” Ginny asked tentatively.

She shook her head again.

“Can I help?”

And again, slower this time. Her hands shook too.

“Selena, please let me help,” the redhead pleaded.

Selena violently shook her head once more, a tear running down her face. She closed her eyes, hoping Ginny wouldn’t notice.

She noticed immediately though, and attempted to hug her. The blonde simply pushed away from her as another tear slipped down her face, but to no avail as the Ginny’s arm stayed wrapped around her.

Soon enough, a sob racked Selena’s body as she slumped down into Ginny’s embrace, her head resting on her shoulder.

Ginny rubbed her hand on her back, whispering soft words as she slightly rocked her body back and forth. Thinking Selena would hate the baby like gestures only for her to relax into Ginny’s hold.

“I’m sorry,” Selena choked out, placing her hands on Ginny’s chest as she tried to push her back.

“It’s ok, Lenny. It’s ok,” Ginny held her tighter.

Something about the embrace obviously comforted Selena as she cried in Ginny’s hold. Almost twenty minutes by and sobs turned to soft cries. Soon enough, the astronomy tower was turned silent other than the soft, deep breaths of both of the girls, their breathing somehow becoming synchronized.

Selena’s eyes were completely closed and her body was completely relaxed, leaving Ginny to believe the girl had fallen asleep. She waited a few minutes and when there were no signs of Selena being awake, she decided she was indeed fast asleep.

Ginny slowly stood up, picking Selena up as she did. Ginny carried her throughout the halls like a literal child, all the way down until she got to where she knew the Slytherin common room was. She knocked on the wall that was supposed to open with a password, praying to Merlint that someone would be in the common room even at such an ungodly hour.

Luckily enough, Callum opened the door, messy hair and tired eyes, while biting his nails, a nervous look on his face. He sighed of relief when he saw Ginny holding Selena.

“Holy shit, thank Merlin. I was about to go looking for her,” he said as he stopped biting his nails. “Here, come put her on the couch.

Ginny awkwardly nodded while following him, hesitantly and slowly putting Selena on the couch. Callum instantly covered her in a fuzzy, green blanket, seeing as she was in shorts and a thin sweatshirt and it was absolutely freezing in the slytherin common room.

“Thank you so much,” Callum said, sounding like an overly worried mother.

“It’s no problem,” Ginny replied.

Callum was about to bid the redhead goodbye when he saw streaks of tears on his best friend’s face. “Was she crying?”

“Uh- yeah. She got pretty upset, but I’m not really sure.”

“Ok,” he sighed. “Ok. Again, thank you,” he sai, tapping the stone wall so it opened again.

Ginny nodded, walking out and heading for the Gryfindor common room, a small frown on her face.

.

ruby sparks (aka pixiesbaby) has been added to cast list ‼️

anyway- planned the ending to this fic and i'm so sorry