race against time I

The day had finally arrived. The evening ball that will announce Xiao as the Crown Prince and next ruler of the Kingdom of Liyue had came to a start. Preparations had begun since morning. Most of the palace maids and servants had been assigned to decorate and prepare the ballroom while some helped the royals get dressed.

"Good morning, Xiao," Y/N greeted as she entered his room.

"Good morning," Xiao curtly replied.

Y/N took a sit on his bed, watching her lover as he got dressed for the occasion. She could see the scowl on his face and slightly laughed, "What's wrong, Xiao?"

"Too many layers," Xiao complained. "How does Father keep up with this?"

"It's only for a day," Y/N assured him. "Besides, you're the star of today's event. My betrothed, Crown Prince Xiao."

"Are you having fun teasing me?" Xiao grumbled with a slight tint of blush on his cheeks. Immediately after Xiao had been summoned by Lady Ningguang four days ago, he rushed to tell Y/N of the news that they were to be betrothed. Y/N was elated of course. After all, she did love Xiao.

Y/N gave him a smile and walked up to him. The maid working on Xiao's outfit gave Y/N the last jewel needed to be pinned onto his outfit and left the room with the other maids.

"I look like a mess," Xiao stated as he looked at himself in the full length mirror.

"You look very charming," Y/N assured him while she carefully pinned the Liyue Crest onto his collar.

"Really?" Xiao looked at her with a puppy gaze, and Y/N couldn't help but let out a smile.

"Really," She nodded her head. "There. You're all done now."

Y/N looked at their reflection in the mirror and fawned over Xiao. After all, it wasn't everyday that she got to see Xiao dressed up for such an important occasion.

Xiao turned to look at Y/N and gently grabbed her left hand with his right, bringing it up to his lips and gently kissed them. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," Y/N smiled at him. "Are you excited?"

"Not really," Xiao answered with a sigh. "What if I'm not a good ruler?"

"Well, you can always learn to be one," Y/N replied. "Lady Ningguang and Mr Zhongli will be there to help you. I have had my fair learnings of how to rule a kingdom, so I can assist you as well."

Xiao didn't answer in return. Instead, he pulled Y/N's body close to his, burying his face in the crook of her neck. He silently embraced her, wanting nothing more than the comfort of her warmth.

"Xiao?"

"Let's stay like this... just a little while," Xiao muttered.

"Alright."

Minutes passed in silence as neither Xiao nor Y/N moved from their positions. No words needed to be said for them to know that they loved each other deeply.

Just then, someone knocked on the door, alerting the couple. Y/N looked at the door and said, "Come in."

The door swung open, revealing Ganyu and Hu Tao in their formal attire. Hu Tao let out a grin as she pointed to them, "Are we interrupting something?"

"Yes, now get out," Xiao said with a glare.

"Xiao," Y/N warned while Hu Tao laughed at her older brother's response.

"You can't get rid of me," Hu Tao said simply. "Can you believe it, Ganyu? Our Xiao's becoming Crown Prince! It feels like a fever dream."

"Indeed," Ganyu agreed. "But he's proven himself worthy enough. If anything, I'm glad it's him that sits on the throne."