Chapter 5: My new job ended in a disaster

Amber's POV

I tore my eyes away from him, breaking our intense eye contact.

"Can I take your order, sir?" I asked. My voice was meant to sound calm and in control, but it had a mind of its own as it squeaked instead.

He could completely sense my fear.

I swallowed hard as I tried to ignore the intense look he gave me.

He coughed, tearing his eyes away from me as he turned to look at the menu.

"I'll have the chef's special." He ordered. His voice was emotionless.

I nodded as I took note of his order.

I then proceeded to the kitchen. As I walked away, I could feel his eyes on me. I clenched my hand, hoping to alleviate my anxiety.

I increased my speed, hoping to get as far away from him as possible.

I walked into the kitchen and gave the chef his order. I waited, leaning on the counter, for the chef to hand me the wine.

So what if he was my new boss? It's not like I'd have to see him every day. The last I checked he had a really big company, and he couldn't manage both at once.

I clenched onto the countertop, trying to control myself.

"Are you okay? You look a bit shaken." The chef asked snapping me out of my thoughts.

I turned to look at him, my heart still pounding. "I'm fine," I answered trying to force a smile, even I wouldn't believe me.

He handed me a tray with a bottle of wine and a glass.

I took deep breaths to control my breathing as I returned to Liam.

He was now typing on his phone. That was good, at least he wouldn't be giving me any of his attention.

I placed the glass on his table and opened the wine bottle. It only made him more aware of my presence.

His gaze followed me through my every move.

I placed the bottle on the side after filling the glass.

I had turned to leave when I felt a grip on my arm.

I gasped turning around to face him. I felt an intense electrical shock when our hands made contact.

"Tell me, why did you decline my job offer?" He demanded.

Did he even have to ask? After our last meeting, I'd say that it was enough reason for us never to work together, let alone our unfortunate history together.

He held my eyes with his. I noticed how his jaw tightened.

I pulled my hand away from his grip. "It would never have worked out," I answered instead.

He snapped out of his thoughts as he broke our eye contact.

I pulled my shirt down to better adjust my appearance.

I turned around. I hadn't walked that far when I felt liquor spilt over the back of my pants.

I gasped at the liquor running down my leg, making it uncomfortable in this cold weather.

In utter shock, I took a moment to examine myself. I now had red wine dripping down my pants. It didn't help that my uniform was white. I've always hated my work uniform because it made me feel like I was in some ugly nurse uniform. Apart from how uncomfortable it was having the red liquid running down my legs, it also looked like I had just got my period.