What About Now?

Ant came running into the room. He clearly doesn't realize that Madeline almost died, just like the rest of her family.

"What!? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!?!" Madeline now yelled at Ant.

"Your... your family and the crew, were aboard the Dark Orca when someone cut a wire or something. Causing the sub to blow up." Fontaine said, sorrow and pity in her voice. "You were the only one who made it out."

"WHAT!?"

"Sorry, Madeline. Your family is dead."

"You're lying! This is just some sick prank!"

"No, it's not."

"What...?" You could see the tears briming her eyes.

"Yeah..."

"Well... we should hold a funeral. It's the least that we could do, and it's proper." Madeline suggested.

"I guess that is a good idea. So, how do you want to do it Madeline?"

"Ummm..."

~~~A Few Hours Later~~~

They had finished planning the funeral. It was going to be short and held at night. So here they were. Each of them were assigned a crew member by Madeline, to make a floating memorial lantern. Each patterned with their favorite things and the signature of the person that made the lantern was located on the bottom of each. The hardest part of making the lanterns was not actually the making of the lanterns themselves, but assigning each person to a Nekton. Madeline was really hesitant  but decided that, Ant got to make one for Danny Boy. Madeline got to make one for her dad, Captain Hammerhead. Will, and Kaiko, were assigned the remaining crew members, and Fontaine had Finn. Each of the lanterns were made of biodegradable material, so they don't have to pick them up later, they will just dissolve after a few hours at sea. Madeline started singing a song, and each of the Nektons knew it. After a few verses she signaled for Fontaine to join in.

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowin' like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gather 'round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

I hear her voice in the mornin' hour, she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
Drivin' down the road, I get a feelin'
That I should've been home yesterday, yesterday

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

No idea why she chose that song to sing at her family's short funeral, but it hit the spot and just felt so right. By the time that they finished singing the song, it was a duet between Madeline and Fontaine. Their voices formed a unique sound, Madeline's gruffer, and younger voice mixed with Fontaine's beautiful, and soft voice, and created a wonderful and sorrow filled sound. It echoed through the deck of the Aronnax and seemed to linger the longer they remained silent. No one spoke until Fontaine said in a barely hearable voice.

"What do we do now? What does the future hold for us?"