| chapter one |

Adeline Gilbert is the oldest sister to Jeremy and Elena Gilbert. Her parents, Grayson and Miranda, longed for more children after her and adopted Elena and had Jeremy through IVF.

Adeline had always been beautiful with her long brown hair, brown eyes, and fair skin. Elena stood out more with her tanner skin and fuller face than Jeremy and Adeline. Jeremy looked much like Adeline with his fair skin and brown hair and eyes.

Adeline had graduated Mystic Falls high school and just finished her four years at Whitmore College. She was a junior when her parents car drove over the railing of Wickery Bridge, Elena was 17 and and Jeremy was 15.

🦋

"Okay Jer. Do you have everything?" Elena said as she finished folding down striped bedsheets in her older sisters bed.

"Uh, yeah. You sure she's actually coming this time?" Jeremy asked as he put books in the bookshelves.

"Yeah, she won't bail this time. Promise." She looked at the clock on the bedroom. "Okay, I have to go pick her up at the airport. Keep Jenna company."

"I always do." He said as he exited the bedrooms which looked absolutely spotless and perfect, just how Adeline left it.

" He said as he exited the bedrooms which looked absolutely spotless and perfect, just how Adeline left it

(a/n: pretend it looks neater btw this is in the attic so their attic is adeline's bedroom. if anyone could find a better bedroom PLEASE send me the link or attach it to this paragraph as a comment!)

Adeline had a habit of not showing up. She would say that she would visit and never show. She missed Elena's cheer competition last fall. She missed her parents funeral. She missed everything after she left for college.

Adeline had a habit of partying and doing drugs, though she just got out of that. Jeremy is Adeline's carbon copy after their parents death.

Elena vacated the room and grabbed her car keys before leaving the house.

"Where are you going?" A voice behind her said, scaring her.

"Oh my god, Damon. You can't keep scaring me like that." Elena put her hand over her heart. "What are you even doing here?"

"Well, Stefan got himself in a bit of a twist, but now I see that you're probably on your way to him because of all that lovey-dovey bullshit."

"Um, actually I am on my way to pickup my sister. Just, um, help Stefan and uh, speak to Bonnie about it." Elena unlocked her car door and put the car into drive and started to drive to Petersburg Airport, which was a town over.

🦋

Adeline was tapping her foot on the pavement impatiently as she waited to see Elena's 2008 Steel Blue Metallic Ford Escape. Finally the car pulled up.

Elena popped open the trunk. "Hi."

"Hi 'Lena! Oh my god! You look so pretty!" Adeline touched her hair and looked at Elena's face.

"I look the same."

"Anyway, traveling was so boring though I did meet quite a few people but other than that it was boring." Adeline put emphasis on the last word.

"Mm, tell me all about it."

And so for the next 3 hours, Adeline told her all about the places she went to. She talked about the Florida beaches, how busy Pensacola was, the rain in Portland, the apple butter in Memphis, and the music in Chicago.

They pulled up to a giant mansion/mini castle.

"Wow, 'Lena.. sweet digs." Adeline got out of the car door and gazed at the mansion.

"Oh no, it's-its not mine it's—" Elena was abruptly cut off by an older voice.

"Mine. I'm Damon Salvatore." He stuck his hand out has his icy blue eyes looked at her from head to toe.

"Adeline... Gilbert. Elena's better, hotter sibling."

"Mm, well!" He clapped his hands together. "Stefan is inside with um, someone. Elena?" He gestured inside, not inviting Adeline in.

They walked inside the house and saw a younger man with beautiful green eyes and hero hair.

"Stefan..." Elena tan up to him and hugged him but he had a blank stare and didn't hug back. Elena realized it. "Your humanity is off. Why is it off? Damon why is his humanity off?"

"That was part of the deal, Elena. Klaus gave Damon the cure and I hang out with him in return." Stefan said in a condescending town.

"Uhm, hi? I'm Adeline. Elena's hotter sibling, duh." Adeline said, interrupting this confusing moment for her.

"Oh, hi. I'm Stefan Salvatore." Stefan says.

"Figures." Adeline chuckled a bit at the awkwardness settling in the room.

"Ugh finally, she's back." A British voice rang out.

"Damon, no. You can't possible think that she would wanna help us." Elena said, her body tensing.

"Hey! You and I are running from the same problem here. We need to work together." She turned to Adeline, the only stranger in the room. "You!"

Adeline looked around the room and pointed at herself. "Me?"

"Yes, you.. you look..." She drawled out the last word, trailing off. As if she was holding something fragile, her gaze dropped and the frailness that held in her eyes weren't there.

Klaus was painting the same painting for the millionth time.

"Niklaus why do you insist on painting the same girl everyday?" Elijah said as he walked into the room.

"Because brother, she comes to me. She's my muse." Niklaus said as he watched his brush stokes draw on the brown color that was her hair.

"Hm. You do know that this is another year that you haven't seen her."

"Yes, brother, I do know that. Did you know that this was the first time that we have seen a doppelgänger since Tatia? We let Katerina slip out of our grasps. Heads will roll."

"What if... we set up a ploy?" Klaus set his brushes down and turned to his brother who was still standing by the door. "'The Sun and Moon Curse' has a lovely ring to it, don't you think?"

"I think you may be on to something, Elijah."

The brothers went and told Rose-marie and Trevor of this curse that involved something called a 'moonstone' which allowed them to slip up that Katerina had turned into a vampire. Thus started the hunt for Katerina Petrova and the next human doppelgänger.