Chapter 1: Break Out

PART 1 - SIRIUS BLACK.

AZKABAN, SUMMER OF 1992

4,743 days. Each scratch mark on the cell wall represented one of them. Well, not just one wall. After the 2,643rd day, he had to expand to a second one. The lines were the only thing tethering him to the outside world, but they drove him mad, looming over him like a sea of eyes watching him in a dark forest. He could see, among them, the eyes of his parents— unsupportive, disappointed —the eyes of his brother— cold, lifeless —and the eyes of Remus— those haunted him the most.

Sirius had had enough. He needed his escape. His freedom. His revenge.

He hadn't squandered a single moment trapped in the confines of Azkaban. No, he spent every waking moment planning. As soon as the opportunity presented itself, which it had to eventually, he would be prepared. He couldn't afford to waste it.

—————————————

On the 4,743rd day, the moment finally came. Sirius ran through the list of requirements in his head.

Lunchtime. Check.
Only one dementor in sight. Check.
Enough energy to transform. Check.
An open door.

That last one was the hardest to come across. But there it was, for a brief moment, as a ministry official filed into the lunch hall.

Sirius didn't hesitate. He slipped behind a wall and emerged as a jet-black dog, dark as night itself. The dementor couldn't pick up on his scent like this. He approached the door, and made it through unnoticed. The stars must have aligned perfectly. He made it to the entrance hall and out the front doors. Azkaban was surrounded by rough, unforgiving waters. An island. But cast on the side of the shore was a wooden boat. It may not survive the currents, but it was the best option he had.

He tipped it upright and pushed it into the water, clambering aboard and taking ahold of the oars. His heart was beating faster than ever. Not from anxiety, but from excitement. Salt water splashed against the sides of the boat, stinging Sirius' eyes and nose. But he didn't stop or look back. He paddled. He paddled until there was land in sight. He docked the boat on the grass, and ran until Azkaban disappeared into the horizon line. The summer breeze was thick with humidity, but it could have been the freshest air he'd ever breathed in his life. Sirius calculated that he'd have about fifteen minutes before lunch was over. Before they realized he was missing. In the next fifteen minutes, he had to find Hogwarts. That was his only chance at finding Remus.

——————————————

PART 2 - REMUS LUPIN.

HOGWARTS, WINTER OF 1993

Chilly nights were always comforting for Remus. He sat on the windowsill in his study, the breeze making the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. The cold air was refreshing, but more importantly kept him awake while grading papers.

Remus was familiar with this scene. He would often find himself perched on a windowsill like this in his youth, hiding out in the crevices of Hogwarts. Back then, though, he had the laughter of his best friends surrounding him. Now, he was alone, with only the breeze filling the air around him.

James was murdered. Peter was murdered. And Sirius was locked up for the crimes he committed that Halloween night.

The thought of them haunts him, following him everywhere down the Hogwarts halls. Even as a professor, he couldn't escape the face of James, whose son attended the school. Suddenly, the breeze felt more mocking than comforting, as it whistled in his ears like screams. He slammed the window shut.

Remus set the pile of inked parchment down. Grading essays didn't seem so pertinent anymore. He sighed as he slid off the windowsill, making his way back to his desk to close up for the night. He caught a glimpse of the maurader's map in one of the maple wood drawers, only continuing to torture him with reminders of his past friends. He could just barely see the words:

Messers
Moony, Wormtail,
Padfoot and Prongs
Present-

He slammed the drawer shut. Remus hurriedly threw all of his important things in his worn down brown leather satchel, and rushed out of his office.

———————————————

"Now Harry, I need you to concentrate."

"I have been concentrating, professor!"

Remus had been teaching Harry the patronus charm for a couple days now, and although he believes that Harry has made significant progress, the younger didn't seem to have the same confidence.

This is one of the moments where it strikes Remus just how similar Harry is to his father. The burning desire to be better, to improve, yet patience as little as could be. The only difference being that Harry has been forced into constantly bettering, adapting. Forced to suffer from the repercussions of actions from a man he has never met.

Remus shook his head.

"Harry, your frustration is understandable. However, you don't grasp what progress you've made."

Harry sighs, exasperated. "What progress?" He sits on the marble step with a thump, placing his head in his hands. "I don't doubt you, professor. I just don't see it."

Remus watches Harry with careful eyes, trailing his movements as he goes to sit down. Remus quiets, and slowly moves to sit next to Harry.

"You know, you remind me a lot of your father in these moments, Harry."

The black haired boy lifts his head up to stare curiously at Remus. His face falls into a frown, displaying an unbelieving look.

"Really?" Harry questions. "But... my father was accomplished. I've seen his medals displayed around."

Remus looks away, staring at the ground beneath them. "You're right. Your father, James, had a lot to be proud of. He was good at everything I could possibly think of. That is- everything but academics."

Harry gave Remus a smirk at that, and shook his head lightly. Remus chuckled, leaning back onto the desk that stood behind them.

"But that is not to say he didn't try. Oh, he tried Harry. Not everything came easy to him."

"What do you mean?"

The professor smiled as he looked up at the ceiling, remembering the countless nights James would sneak onto the bottom of his bed at night, passionately explaining his next plan to make Lily fall for him. Or the days he would drag him and the others around, just to make them watch the red haired girl "finally accept him". Although he was annoyed in the present, he can't help but look back on those moments with an unexplainable fondness.

"Harry, it took your mother a long time to finally accept your father. In fact, for most of their time at Hogwarts, Lily couldn't stand your father."

Harry stared at Remus, stunned at this information. He abruptly stood up.

"What? Then how did they end up together in the first place, professor?"

"Persistence, Harry." Remus followed in Harry's footsteps, and stood next to him. "Persistence was key for James. His stubbornness was alive in everything he did, down to fighting tooth and nail for the last muffin at breakfast."

The professor places his hand on the student's shoulder, focusing his attention on him. "His patience would wear thin easily, but he never gave up. I admired that about him, and that's what I admire about you too, Harry."

Harry gave Remus a warm smile at that, and looked down at his feet, quiet at his teacher's praise.

"Now, why don't we try again?"