"Amber's Viewpoint"

I remember the day that I was killed like it was yesterday, but it wasn't yesterday, it was two years ago on April 14th by a murderer that had escaped from prison the day before.

Now to me I wasn't supposed to die that day because it was supposed to be the best day ever. I was supposed to meet my boyfriend Dylan (for three years) for dinner. He had said that he had a big surprise for me. But unfortunately, that time never came for me because I had died that morning. Perhaps I said too much already, but let me start in the beginning before I was killed.

The morning I died was like any normal day. I was getting ready for school and I had gone down stairs to eat breakfast with my parents. I was already late meeting up with Dylan so we could walk to school together. Whenever I finished my breakfast I headed for the door, but my mother had stopped me.

I told her, "I am sorry mom but I can't talk right now. I am already late meeting with Dylan. We were supposed to walk to school together and we are both..."

I had stopped because she had an expression on her face that said she was scared and/or worried. I looked at my father and he had the same expression my mom had.

"What? What happened?" I asked terrified.

My mother got up and sat me back down and then she sat down as well. She tells me, "Honey, we just wanted you and Dylan to be careful today while you are at school."

I looked at her confused and asked, "Yeah of course. But... Why are you telling me? What happened?"

My father tells me, "Your mother and I heard on the news that a murderer had escaped from prison yesterday. They also say that he is one state away."

I looked at them with a blank expression.

"So, honey," my mother started to say, "We just wanted you and Dylan to both be safe today. You know just in case that they are wrong alright."

I looked at them and then gave them both a huge hug. I took a quick glance at the clock on the wall and said, "Yeah mom. Dylan and I will be safe and careful today ok."

I headed toward the door and said, "We're going to be late for school. Bye."

I had kissed my mother on the cheek hoping and thinking that would calm her nerves a little bit but it didn't. She was more worried than ever.

I didn't know that was going to be the last time I would ever talk to my parents.

As we were walking to the school, I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed that Dylan wrinkled his nose at the neighborhood dog that doesn't like him. I thought that was so cute.

Then without knowing I had stopped laughing and I got lost in my thoughts. When I snapped out of it, I heard Dylan saying, "Amber... alright?"

I looked at him confused and said, "Oh, I am sorry. What did you say?"

He looked at me worried and asked, "Why did you get lost in your thoughts like that?"

"Oh, I was just thinking about what my parents told me this morning before I left." I told him in a scared voice.

"Why? What did they say?" I could hear him getting worried about me like something bad had happened.

I looked down and stayed quiet for a moment. I looked back up at him and told him, "Well they told me to be careful and safe today. They had both heard on the news that a murderer had escaped from prison yesterday."

He looked straight ahead and said, "Oh yeah my parents told me the same thing but," he stopped, put his hands on my shoulders and looked at me and I looked at him and he continued to say, "They also told me that he is one state away from here. Besides, what are the odds that he would ever come to our high school?"