- 5 -

Country music blared in the small, country-themed bar. Elizabeth stayed tucked in the back corner, her dark curly hair poking out from underneath her white cowboy hat as she watched all the young college kids party, dance, and have a good time. Spring break of 2010 was going to be the best moment of their lives. Or at least, that's what they thought at the moment. She took a long swig of her fruity drink, fingers loosely gripping the bottle as she kept her eyes on the entrances and exits.

A frown made it to her lips as her bottle was empty. Just as she was about to walk over to the bar, a brick wall of a man steps in front of her. A cocky smile was on his chiseled face as he held up the same orange liquid she had been drinking.

"Here you go, little lady," he said smoothly. Her eyes moved from the drink to the man in front of her then to the navy uniform.

"Officer Seresin," she started, reaching up and taking the drink. The move was smooth, she would give him that.

"You know your ranks," he hummed.

Well obviously.

He was observant, just not enough to notice her army jacket.

"Wild guess," she lied, taking a swig of her drink.

He smirked, getting smugger as he looked over her curvy figure. Her skinny jeans hugged her hips just right and he only now noticed the embroidered 'ARMY' badge on her jacket, making his smirk widen a little more.

"What's an Army brat doing in a Navy town?"

"What's a sailor doing on land?"

That made him laugh. His laugh made a warmness wash over her. It was a soft and kind laugh but very boyish, and the smile on his face made you want to punch and kiss him at the same time. She took another sip of her drink to cover the stupid grin fighting to come to the surface.

"I'm an aviator," he explained.

Elizabeth cocked her head as she leaned against the pillar behind her. That explained the attitude.

"Aahhhhh so you would rather fly over the battle than actually fight it."

"No, that's the Air Force."

That made them both laugh.

"Well, thank you for the drink, Officer Seresin."

"Please, call me Jake," he said with a wink, making a blush form on her cheeks. She noticed that her cheeks hurt a little from the past few moments of smiling. "And you are... First Lieutenant Clark," Jake continued, leaning in a bit as he read the tag on her jacket.

Liz's smile dropped a little before nodding.

"First Lieutenant Clark was my mother," she explained. "Army nurse."

Jake noticed the falter of her gaze. He stood up a little bit straighter, curious as to what he could have said that caused her demeanor to change before it suddenly clicked.

"I'm sorry," he started, only to be cut off.

"Don't be, she was an amazing woman," she explained.

"What should I call you then?"

"Sunny, they call me Sunny," she said, giving him her callsign for the Army instead of her full name. She didn't want to risk him recognizing her last name.

"Well, nice to meet you, sunshine," he said with a grin, causing her to laugh.

"So, is that a bit of a country twang I hear in your voice?"