chapter two, friends.

╔══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╗

 CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

❝It'll be okay. Trust me.❞

╚══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╝

     "YOU NEEDN'T FOLLOW ME everywhere I go, sky-boy," the young Na'vi girl spoke, kneeling on by the roots of the tree her companion currently dwelled on. "You have family, go bug them."

     "Well, we're friends," Neteyam quipped, "plus Kiri has no interest in exploring; Tuk is too young, and, well, all Lo'ak does is follow our father around." Ni'Alu only offered a hum of acknowledgement for the boy, an indication she at least registered the poor explanation.

     "We aren't friends, skxawng. If anything, I share the same compassion with you as I do a rock wedged in my foot." This caught Neteyam's attention, and he soon clamored to the edge of the branch, ready to argue with the girl. But as soon as he caught Ni'Alu's teasing smirk, any words he had prepared quickly died in his throat. Instead, he coughed in an attempt to cover the brazen grin that threatened to spread. It was nice to know she was capable of joking around. With him, at least.

     "You haven't cussed me out yet, so I try to count that as a blessing in my favor."

     "The day's still early." She shrugged, maneuvering further into the dense abundance of plants, careful to avoid the jagged twigs which littered the path. When she didn't hear Neteyam's signature steps behind her, she glanced puzzledly behind her—only to be met by the boy's stunned expression. She rolled her eyes, "Don't hold your breath too much," she paused, "it'll cut off whatever oxygen's left in that brain of yours."

     The boy let out an indignant shrill, but the girl had already continued her trek. "What are we even looking for?" He grated, sulking above her.

     Ni'Alu stilled for a moment, she jabbed a finger towards herself, "I was looking for the banshees near the mountainside." She switched to him, "You are the leech who tagged along."

     "Fine, fine. But why exactly there? Neither of us are hunters, nor are we ready to become ikran riders," Neteyam pointed out. With that sentiment, the boy paced faster, lurching forward in an ungraceful attempt to land on ground level beside the girl. Rather, he landed with a harsh 'thud,' stepping forward clumsily upon impact. When the girl checked over her shoulders, he just hastily brushed himself off, a small flush visible alongside a sheepish smile.

     "You act too gaudy, sky-boy. You're only entertaining yourself," Ni'Alu sneered, twisting backwards to send a brisk jab below Neteyam's ribs, to which she earned a surprised yowl in return. She couldn't help the hand that went to her face, a half-suppressed laugh bubbling at her lips. He was interesting at least. "Plus you needn't wake the entire forest with your stunts." She flicked his forehead, continuing her stride. Neteyam surely would've felt ridiculed in normal circumstances, but he could hear the playful tone in the girl's reprimand. So, he just shook his head with a chuckle, falling contently in-step behind.