Chapter Nineteen

-Jayce-

The next couple days in the cabin with Dylan were wonderful. They spent the time relaxing in front of the fire, finishing off the Thanksgiving leftovers, and spending plenty of time in bed. But despite all of that, Jayce was starting to get restless. He wanted to explore Winthrop. They weren't trapped in this cabin like they would have been if they were still in the mountains, so he wanted to take advantage of that and do more things with Dylan.

"What do you want to do today?" he asked Dylan, plopping down beside him on the couch. "I was thinking since the holiday is over and all the businesses will be open again, we can get ingredients for baking so I can teach you. And I still want to check out that candy and ice cream shop."

Dylan glanced over at him. "They don't sell ice cream in the winter. That part of the shop is closed down until summer."

"That's fine. It's way too cold for ice cream anyway. But I bet the candy section is nice and cozy."

"Can we put it off for another day or two?" Dylan asked.

"Why? Is there something else you need to do today?"

"No."

Confused, he raised an eyebrow. "Then why?"

"I don't want to go into town. You know why that is."

"But I'll be with you the whole time. It'll be okay."

Dylan avoided looking at him. "They'll still stare at me. I don't feel like dealing with that today."

He couldn't help but feel disappointed. He really wanted to go into town, and he thought that if Dylan had someone else with him it would be a better experience for Dylan. "Please? We don't have to stay that long. Can we just go to the candy shop and the store? I don't need to see anything else in town today."

"I don't know."

"You can't just avoid other people for the rest of your life."

"They avoid me," Dylan protested, his voice gruff.

Jayce sighed and sat back on the couch. He wasn't looking forward to what he was about to say to Dylan, but after knowing him for almost two months and seeing all sides of him, this needed to be said. "Yes, people avoid you, but it's not just because you're huge and have a scar on your face. It's your whole demeanor."

Dylan bristled immediately, a glare already forming on his face. Jayce tried to tread carefully. He wanted the best for Dylan and he wanted to be able to spend time with Dylan in town, not just hidden away inside.

"I know people have treated you poorly and that would make anyone put up a wall, but you look angry a lot of the time," he continued.

"That's just how my face is."

"But not all the time. You have a nice smile, and when you do smile you look like a different person. I want the Dylan I see to be the Dylan everyone else sees. I know how gentle and kind you are and I want everyone else to know too."

Dylan's face was still set in a glare, his brown eyes seeming darker than usual. He really did look intimidating when he was angry or annoyed.

"Dylan, you have your murder face on right now," he told him. "If I didn't know you, I'd be scared."

"Well, what am I supposed to do?" Dylan growled. "I don't like being stared at."

"Look, I don't want to tell you to smile more, but a quick smile and nod at someone would help a lot. Or telling them to have a nice day and being polite. I know you haven't had good experiences with people, but you have to try."