Forever is a Lie (2/4) || 24

please read the author's note at the end!
enjoy reading<3

____

•••

the clock keeps ticking, hands mocking at aera's restless feet strolling back and forth in her room, nibbling on her lower lip. if it wasn't for her busy mind playing scariest clips of imagination about how bad things could be, she would've calmed down, took some water and probably thought of the situation in a better way.

but it's been more than four hours that she's been just staring at the time, then at the door, only wondering what kevin might be doing while he's not here. could he still be with that girl? venting to her about how bad of a wife aera is for not giving him proper time and attention; or maybe he could be bitching to her regarding aera's clear words that she didn't want to have kids yet.

now that aera counts, a number of reasons line up— so many that she can make a list and pin it on the board to keep reminding herself that not matter what she tried or went through for him, she couldn't be the woman he wanted to love. he did say he loved her, but then he wouldn't be doing if he did right? aera groans to herself, not knowing what to do, but one thing that she felt sure of was that maybe tonight is not the time to see kevin no matter how much she wanted.

there's a high chance that she would just end up crying the fresh issue, and that might give kevin another reason to call her the bad guy. she takes a deep breath, pained eyes glancing at the screen of her phone once again after a hundred times, however her hope dies as there's still no message from her husband. the fear in her heart, which she obviously heard for herself, keeps growing each second, making it hard for her to stay in the same room as they sleep together in.

rubbing her eyes, she shakes her head, leaving her room, the keys of her car and the phone clutched tightly in her hand as she makes her way stright outside the house, ignoring kevin's parents' calling out her name.

•••

"she has some work, jake. she's not coming, stop staring at the entrance," clay grumbles, downing his first shot from the tray in front of him. jake nods gradually, pulling out his phone despite knowing that aera wouldn't show up anymore after she already dropped them a message, saying that she has some urgent work this evening.

he grabs a shot as well, helping clay finish the shots of tequila, then laughs a little at the burning sensation in his throat. clay shakes his head, eyes shut tight which he only opens to spare his friend a glance, noting his reaction as well and smirks, "let's go, 'nother round,"

"bring it on," jake accepts the challenge, "who's gon' drive?"

"we'll call a cab. no worries 'bout that,"

jake hums almost inaudibly, frowning at the slow vibrations in his pocket but it dies down before he reaches out to answer the call. then the rings vibrates again, this time jake smiles at the name, "hey," he says, "why did yo— aera? are you okay?" the fun drains out of his voice, sounding more serious than before which draws attention from clay as well.