talk to me

Minnie heaves a heavy sigh as the speeding train passes through a dark tunnel. She puts her hand on her chin, the train continuing to run through the darkness, into the light revealing a beautiful small town.

Yasoinaba.

Next stop: Yasoinaba. Yasoinaba. Yasoinab-
The train speakers echo into the cart.

The high school student got up from her seat taking a last look on the empty train cart she was in. "No one really goes here, huh?" she mutters. She took her duffle bag resting on the shelf above her head, putting it over her shoulder. She feels her flip-phone vibrate in her sweatpants.

We'll be outside the train station waiting for you.

Minnie flips her phone shut, walking towards the trains exit. She'd be staying in this sad, boring town for a year. Most likely without any friends, but she'll cope. Hopefully.
The station was small, a couple of people were there, but they looked like business ones. Just like her parents who left her in this small town to stay in for a whole year.
Here's Minnies background: It's the year 2011 and it's her second year in high school, obviously transferring to the one in Yasoinaba. Both of her parents are busy business people leaving to attend something for their line of work overseas, and that means she'd be left with her aunt and cousin in this town.
And the last time she saw these people, was when she was three years old.
So basically, it was like starting a new life completely.
Minnie hated meeting new people, and taking that first step out of the train station was like taking foot into hell.
"Over here!" yells an unfamiliar voice.
Minnie finds the owner of the caller, and familiarity come back to her. It was her aunt Chonnasorn, or Sorn and her little cousin. By the way, her cousin is like seven years old. She's never met her before. Minnie walks over to the duo, giving her friendliest smile. "Wow! You've grown so much the last time I saw you. I remember when you were still a little whee baby changing your diapers." she jokes. Minnie twitched her eye internally, typical aunt jokes she thought.
"Anyway, this is Shuhua, my daughter and your cousin. Shuhua, say hi." the woman brings the little girl in front of her, who was previously hiding behind her mother.
"H-Hi." Shuhua say shyly.
Minnie gives her a warm smile, "Hi, Shuhua."
Her aunt chimes in, "Oh, what are you acting all shy for?" The high schooler turned her attention to her aunt, "Weren't you so excited to see Minnie, Shuhua? Go give her a hug!" The seven year old looked up to her mother and gave a frown, smacking her on the butt and hiding back behind her. Sorn laughed at this action. Minnie stands there awkwardly. "Don't mind her. I'm sure she'll warm up to you soon."
"Y-Yeah.."

All three of them drive on the vacant roads of Inaba, in Sorn's small but homey Toyota Corolla. "I know this isn't the best place, especially since you're from the city," Minnie's aunt looks at her from the rear view mirror, "But there are plenty of things to do here, just... keep yourself busy." Minnie nods and continues looking out the passenger window.

It's so empty here, The high schooler thinks. The car stops at a grubby looking gas station, with a man jogging over to the Toyota. She sees her aunt chat with him for a moment and walks towards the sidewalk, taking out a box of cigarettes from her dress pants. Minnie takes a peek at the gas station employee, filling up the car, she decides to hop out as well to move her legs around. Her little cousin does the same. The employee turns his head toward Shuhua, giving that customer service smile.
"Looking for the bathroom? It's on the left,
y'know, the one where you don't put your chopsticks in?" Wow. Thanks for stating the obvious, dumbass. But Minnie kept that one to herself.
"Yeah, I know. Geez." Shuhua grumbles the last word, Minnie barely able to hear it as she disappears into the bathroom. Minnie raises an eyebrow to this, her little cousin got a lil' sass to her. After a little while, Minnie's ears perk up when the gas station employee strikes up a conversation with her.
    "I can tell you're from the city. How're you feeling about this side of the country?" he takes the gas pump out from the car. Minnie thinks for a moment before answering, "I don't know, really. There's like no one here." He gives an airy laugh, "Yeah, that's what a lot of city kids say when they get here. In Inaba, your free time is either to get a job, or die of boredom," the employee looks at Minnie dead in the eye, "Not the best place to be, but you'll get used to it. I'm Seungmin." he takes out his hand in front of Minnie.
    "Minnie."
    "Nice to meet you, Minnie." the two shake hands. This gives Minnie a little hope that the people here were nice. Or maybe this guy Seungmin was really good at customer service.
    "Alright, back in the car!" Sorn says, throwing her burnt cigarette on the sidewalk. "It was nice talking to you, Minnie. Hope you have a nice stay in Inaba."
    "Thanks. I hope so too."
I really hope so.