Chapter 11 ~ The Silent Stars Go By

Severus had spent the past few days doing little else but staring at the dark walls of his office. He hadn't intended to, of course, but the thoughts which raced through his mind non-stop were so distracting, that the hours simply flew by - the familiar grumble and ache in his stomach finally compelling him to visit the kitchens every once in a while.

He hadn't caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror in a while, and luckily hadn't encountered anybody in the hallways - but if someone had seen him, they'd have been struck with more shock than usual; Severus' skin had grown paler still, if it were even possible, and it only accentuated his dark onyx eyes - now empty and glassy, where a sardonic spark used to lie. He hadn't changed his clothes since, either - unaware of the time passing, Severus hadn't been able to keep-up with mundane things - but he now wore his usual black robe over the top, for the few excursions he made to the kitchens and such at night. This was quite fortunate also, as he may have otherwise frozen to death sitting in his office, where the fire had long since been extinguished and the lack of light only increased the cold feel to the room.

In fact - it was only after a while of the cold seeping into his body, that a good shiver awoke Severus from his daze and forced him to get up.

He had to fight every bone in his body just to stand upright - and even then, he was met with a low pain spreading throughout his body, and circulating through each muscle as he moved. All that could escape his dry lips was a deep, irritated grumble of a sigh. -He felt like he should be twice the age he really was.

It was difficult to ignore the pain, but it seemed trivial in his mind, when he thought of all the many other painful things he had chosen to ignore in the past. -So, he pushed the feeling away reflexively as he checked the time.

3:42am. Perfect. Nobody would be roaming the castle at this time to get in his way - he could easily make a quick trip to the kitchens and back, unnoticed.

And so, he ventured to find a warming cup of hot chocolate, to help him regain some form of life within himself. Upon return, the fireplace was relit - diffusing heat and a light glow back into the room.

Severus' thoughts trailed back to his dilemma, the one thing which caused him to spiral downward in the first place... It was evident that he couldn't let the self-pity win for much longer - he would soon have bigger things to worry about.

-- The thought was broken by a startling knock at the door.

"Severus?", came a familiar, if intrusive, voice. "I know you're in there - I was informed by the portraits that you've been out for a walk about the castle.."

McGonagall's signature sigh was audible even through the wooden door.

"Well, I thought I would just remind you of the Hogsmeade trip tomorrow morning, in case you had forgotten... I shall expect to see you there."

Severus had definitely forgotten, having lost track of the days - and a day-trip to Hogsmeade with a bunch of rambunctious students and equally excited staff, was not something he felt inclined to attend. -However, McGonagall must have sensed this in his silence, as she replied without being prompted:

"I will see you at 10am, Severus, as required. --And do not be late!"

Some spark of energy must have returned to him, as he mustered the strength to respond with an irritated eye-roll. He took a sip of hot chocolate, before letting out a defeated sigh of an exhale.

~

Your eyes were pried open by the morning sunlight once again, and as you sit up in bed you realise that you'd had a surprisingly peaceful slumber.