prologue

His fingers danced delicately along the bones of her face, stopping only to swim in the hollows of her cheeks. He wrapped wispy hairs around his long, narrow fingers.

She didn't speak as he did this. She only marveled in his touch, knowing this would be the last time. He made that very clear when he first arrived. She didn't want it to be the last time, but she had no time to complain when his lips collided with hers.

Lying there after, she willed herself to beg him. Beg him to be hers, she was his sweet, little love maker. Nothing more.

He would never be hers. He was looking for something more than her. She was too expecting. She wanted too much. She believed in happy endings and family. He could never give her that. He wished she'd see it his way. Their time was up. It was no longer fun. No longer fun when she looked at him with those eyes, pleading for him to stay.

He wasn't a breakfast kind of guy. His emotions and feelings weren't available to her. They weren't really available to anyone. This only served to make her crave them more intensely.

His lips grazed her honey-brown skin. Her eyelids felt heavy and she shut them. They trailed slowly down her neck until they stopped, short of her clavicle. Her eyes flew open to meet his. Her eyes were begging. Not for the kisses to continue, because that he could actually give her.

He couldn't leave. Tears were beginning to pool in her eyes. He only smiled and removed himself from the bed.

She sat up quickly, hair falling in her face. She wrapped her arms tight around her exposed chest. "So, that's it?" Her voice was strained.

He smiled again and she hated it. "Yes."

"You're going to leave? For good this time? No coming back?" She was praying he'd say no. Pleading with whatever being created the world to keep him with her.

He admired her for a second before answering. She was beautiful, an array of warm browns. "Yes."

She shoved the curls out of her face. "Don't do this, Cole."

"This isn't fun for you anymore. This means something to you. That's exactly what it wasn't supposed to do. I can't be yours, no more than you can be mine. I don't want that. I don't want you. Not in the way you want me to." He began picking his clothes up off the floor.

She couldn't help it. She started to cry.

"Emiline. Don't do that."

This only made her sob harder.

"I'll always be here. I'll always be your friend, but I can't do this to you anymore. I can't love you. I can't love anyone. Not in that way. Not the way I should." He ran his finger across her cheekbones, catching tears.

She grabbed him and pulled him into a hug. "I love you."

"I know."

tell me one thing about yourself and one thing you like about this chapter

- niya xx