Prologue

"Atsuko want to grab lunch with me?" Her co-worker and senior nurse asked her. "Sure why not I'd be glad to," Atsuko replied grabbing her bag from off her chair. "How are the labs coming along?" Yuki inquired. "I thought we agreed to not talk about work on our breaks," the girl responded. "Just amuse me this one time," Yuki pleaded. "Ugh fine," Atsuko gave in. "I'm already done them and I'll be giving them to Chishiya and his superior after lunch," She told Yuki. "So what's the diagnosis?" She continued to inquire. "Heart attack," Atsuko gave a quick response.

"I have the lab results you requested," Atsuko stated as she handed them to Chishiya. He quickly took the paperwork from her without so much as an acknowledgement. Well that was rude,  Atsuko thought as she continued on her way to make a few last rounds before the end of her shift.  "Don't let him bother you," Yuki told her. "Didn't you hear one of his patients died earlier today," she was informed. "That's horrible," Atsuko said but couldn't find any better words to say.

"Doctor Chishiya I heard about what happened this morning," Atsuko started. There's no turning back now, she internally panicked. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry and to let me know if there is anything I can do," she concluded. "It's none of your concern it's just the risk we signed up for taking this job," came his cold reply. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to pry," she apologized as she left for the day.

Why is she so concerned about me? Chishiya pondered. The girl was a complete mystery to him. He gave no indications of being her friend and they only interacted during work hours. So his question to himself was why she even bothered to care.

"Mommy look fireworks!" A kid exclaimed as Atsuko also looked at what the child was pointing out to his mother. That's strange fireworks at this time of day, Atsuko thought as she looked at the time on her watch. It was only just after 2pm.